The Future Of America

Discussion in 'Economics' started by gnome, Aug 27, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

I believe the "future of America" is one of ever higher inflation, and continued stagflation... UNTIL THE BOOMER GENERATION DIES OFF!!!

If/when there is "recovery", it will be from a much lower level of all things economic and AFTER we Boomers are gone.

Yes, that's right..... 30-40 years of economic malaise, at best.... plan for it.

I hope I'm wrong...

:mad:

2. Stosh

Stosh

I love my country (U.S.A.), but am becoming more and more disgusted with our government at all levels. The politicians and bureaucrats seem to think that government is the solution to all our problems. I think the opposite, in fact it usually makes matters worse. And of course, their solutions (which coincidentally seem to be driven by attempts at buying votes or helping special interests) cost untold billions of dollars which come from otherwise productive sectors. The Constitution outlines limited government.......what happened? We need another Tea Party. Maybe you could lead it, Gnome. I'm an old Boomer, but I will be there. Stosh

3. This is a similar premise of a book named "The Great Boom Ahead" by Harry Dent. I read it in the mid-90's. Its premise is that you can lag the US birth rate by the average peak spending years and it nearly forecasts the DJIA perfectly. Also known as the spending wave, it predicted a major US depression around 2010. I'm wondering if we haven't started a little earlier.

4. gnome

gnome

Wasn't Dent the "Dow 36,000" guy?

5. gnome

gnome

We need either 100 million Americans to "get it"... so that there would be "marching on Washington, carrying signs", or a high profile leader to "tell the story" and rally the public. Such a person might have been Ron Paul.

Short of either, I see no hope. The average Joe "doesn't want to hear it"... I'm considered a "gloom and doom crackpot" by my wife's friends (most of whom are highly educated and make significant salaries), so I don't imagine I'd fare better among strangers.. :(

6. LEAPup

LEAPup

I'm a Libertarian, and thus do not want big government as it doesn't work. NOR is it what our founding Fathers meant it to be.

This used to be a free Country, but is no more. I love America, and am saddened by what it has come to vs. what I knew it as when I was a kid.

With an Obama in the White House, I can't imagine how many decades it will take to "un do" what he will do.

These are scary times, no question.

7. Stosh

Stosh

Count me as a member of your "doom and gloom crackpot" club. Unfortunately, the majority won't "get it" without some major suffering......hope I live long enough to see them learn some Eco 101. Some of your wife's highly educated friends might have to learn to mow their own yard, repair their own car, and grow a garden. Stosh

8. gnome

gnome

The Founding Fathers were adamantly against our having (a) a large Federal government, and (b) a central bank.

Later, other greedy men wanted those things... so now we have them.

Directly and indirectly they are responsible for our financial condition and ever more facist-becoming police-like* state...

*Everyone knows, right?... come October, the FBI will have the authority to do "warrantless searches"... something our Constitution guaranteed us against...:mad:

9. Hey ...Everyone I am sure wants to feel special,
    but at the end of the day....just another stomach
    to feed....and all living things eat.....

In other words ....yep...just another number.....

One could describe oneself as a person who is basically a

$0
    $10
    $50
    $100
    $200
    $300
    $400
    $500

Per day person......The above represents 99%+ of the world.....

Knowing this is the case.....one can view this in a little more detail.....

Let's say everyone really represents leverage in the bank....
    30:1....For each dollar saved, $30 can be loaned....

Now let's say there is an income drop of 50% at 65.....

All bodies produce income 45 years.....

.........................................................................................................

Thus the normalcy rate number is...

30x100,000,000x45

..................................................................................................

Now, the normal body count is affected by a distortion
    in birth rates which happened over a 10 year period which
    affected the normalcy number by 20%.....

Secondly, the 30:1 leverage number dropped to 15:1....

Now the number becomes .80x15x100,000,000x45.....

So the effect of reduced leverage and the disproportionate
    birth rate decade changes the normacy number by.....

.80x15x100,000,000x45/30x100,000,000x45

12/30's

or

There will just be 40% in total currency available to chase goods
    and services, as there was in the normal normalcy period.....whereby lending and birthrates were normal.....

This is why deflation wins over inflation during a period where lack of credit, and a population birth period high abnormality taking place previously......given that no other changes are made....

10. :D If you think that one's tough, try growing your own food - vegies, chicken, duck, may be a couple of piggies and a cow for dairy.

90% of the world lives that way - why don't you assholes try it.

This is where all that experience gained while growing illegal plants may come in handy:D

#10     Aug 27, 2008