The Fuhrer's first speech could have been about 2010 USA

Discussion in 'Economics' started by William Rennick, Dec 27, 2010.

1. +1

Your phrase "secretly wish to occur" is quite true, but not something I fully comprehend.

#41     Dec 31, 2010
  2. Some "shrink" posited the theory that end of the world thinking allows the frustrated and angry to engage in their most violent fantasies outloud w/out fear of societal recourse.
    iow, sorta like a 5ft 5inch part-time cop who carries a 6inch barrelled .44 Magnum.

#42     Dec 31, 2010
  3. :D

Bill, what will you name your new party?
    [​IMG]

#43     Dec 31, 2010
  4. Samsara

Samsara

It's kinda like eschatology. Have you ever heard of the "Left Behind" book series that evangelical Christians go nuts over? It's about the Rapture where the saved are whisked up into Heaven and the rest of humanity is doomed to watch Hell on earth unfold. It's ostensibly about how bad other humans will suffer, which is unfortunate, but for many people the End Times are an affirmation that they are chosen. Disasters increase one's anticipation of "being right".

There's a sick kind of pleasure that comes from imagining you're one of the chosen few who sees the End of the World around the corner. People go to great lengths to dig up "evidence" of this scenario, when what they're doing is engaging in a kind of unhealthy escapism.

#44     Dec 31, 2010

5. Kinda like the Singularity many technophiles are predicting...

#45     Dec 31, 2010
  6. Samsara

Samsara

I hadn't heard of that, but the wiki article on eschatology describes it. Very interesting!

Same thing, yes. Kind of like the "Cassandra Complex" -- I think first brought up in <i>Twelve Monkeys</i>. Great movie. This is what one thinks about when sitting in a slow long position for 2 hours.

#46     Dec 31, 2010
  7. Being among the chosen, is not really a good fit. Perhaps "among the right" or "among the good."

I think this connects to our basic revulsion at unfairness. God/Father will finally bring much delayed, just punishment. Then it shall be proven that we were right (in our obedience.)

#47     Dec 31, 2010
  8. EMR, hesh up! You are making us Tessicans look like neo-nasties.

Whut am HDS?

And never forget that our CHLs allow us to pack as many as we want, no limit. I am thinking of upgrading to three. For escalating situations.

#48     Dec 31, 2010
  9. Samsara

Samsara

I could see that too. Obedience implying some agency to be rewarded whereas chosen is just Calvinist.

Also apologies if you're/anyone's a Christian, just in case. I'm really just drawing a distinction between those who gain pleasure in anticipating disasters and those who have a healthier philosophy of life. Healthier could be defined in many ways, of course.

#49     Dec 31, 2010
  10. #50     Dec 31, 2010