The FixCNBC petition launched....

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by rickf, Mar 16, 2009.

1. rickf

rickf

more @ http://fixcnbc.com/

Note: I signed the petition but am not affiliated with the site. Will it make a difference to the network? Probably not. But at least we can be heard.

2. might make a diff to GE. They ain't doing to good:

Economists, Progressives Petition CNBC For Coverage Overhaul

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/16/economists-progresses-pet_n_175249.html

Economists, Progressives Petition CNBC For Coverage Overhaul

Sam Stein

stein@huffingtonpost.com

March 16, 2009 09:56 AM

A group of leading progressives and economists have penned an open letter to CNBC demanding that the network publicly change its mission to focus more on Wall Street accountability.

Building off of the momentum from last week, in which CNBC personality Jim Cramer was subjected to an embarrassing lecture by the Daily Show's John Stewart, the group is launching, alongside its letter, a website: http://fixcnbc.com/.

"Americans need CNBC to do strong, watchdog journalism -- asking tough questions to Wall Street, debunking lies, and reporting the truth," the letter reads. "Instead, CNBC has done PR for Wall Street. You've been so obsessed with getting 'access' to failed CEOs that you willfully passed on misinformation to the public for years, helping to get us into the economic crisis we face today. You screwed up badly. Don't apologize -- fix it!"

The letter is signed by, among others, Dean Baker of the Center for Economic Policy Research; Doug Henwood, author of Wall Street and After the New Economy; Lawrence Mishel of the Economic Policy Institute; Linda Jue director of the G.W. Williams Center for Independent Journalism; Robert Borosage of Campaign for America's Future, Todd Gitlin, a professor of journalism at Columbia University; Adam Green, Co-founder of Progressive Change Campaign Committee; Rick Perlstein, author of NixonLand; and Chris Hayes of the Nation.

While all are progressive figures to some extent, the group members insist their cause is about substance, not politics.

"[CNBC is] bringing on people who are cheerleaders for Wall Street," said Baker. "It wasn't good economic reporting, it was trying to get people to buy stock... [host] Larry Kudlow says we are for free enterprise and free markets, and it is fine that there are shows like that. But there is very little effort to give the other side. And obviously it was a big deal. We had a disaster that should have been foreseeable and for some of us it was foreseeable."

The goal of the www.FixCNBC.com effort -- officials say the group will follow up the letter with phone calls and a delivery event at the network headquarters -- is to persuade the CNBC brass to prioritize investigative financial journalism over Wall Street "access." The network, in interviews defending its coverage, has noted that they were not alone in missing or underestimating the current economic troubles, that they have aired comprehensive segments on the housing bubble and subprime mortgage crisis, and that they were, essentially, lied to by business leaders who were touting the market's solvency.

But those rejoinders, signatories of the FixCNBC petition say, miss the forest for the trees. Complaints about the station, as Mishel sees it, are as much about culture as coverage.

"The anchors and the reporters and their approach to economics are far outside the mainstream," he said. "They can have all sorts of shows. But in the end, they were tools of the industry and haven't shown any contrition and reflection or a desire to move to a broader role. This isn't about putting a few progressive economists on shows. It is a much deeper evaluation of what the basis of the network's failures were."

3. Interesting. I signed it. Unfortunately with all the names like "Thomas Jefferson" and "John F. Kennedy" etc...I doubt CNBC will take it very seriously.

4. Are you implying some of those names are fictitious?

Sincerely,

Haywood Jablowmee

5. Julie Coulter
    Gregor Armbruster
    Thomas Kriegsmann
    Colin Wiesner
    Stephanie Marcusky
    David Arroyo
    Ari
    Wendy Lurrie
    Shannon Walker
    Adolf Hitler
    Dylan Northrup
    Connor Kilpatrick
    Brendan Cassidy
    Sean McCandless
    James Ketchaver
    Robert Gibbs
    Barry Stahl

6. I do not want to fix CNBC. I want to UNSUBCRIBE to it. Let it sink or swim in a free market. It is currently subsidized by almost every cable and satellite "subscriber". I would like to UNSUBSCRIBE to CNN, FNC, and MSNBC as well. But in America you must pay for programming that you do not want because they bundle it.

When I go to the grocery store I get to fill my own cart with products that I believe that I will consume, but with the scumbag media and the scumbag politicians who oversee the scumbag media, they blackmail you into paying for services that you will never consume.

I have trouble constaining my contempt for the media and the assholes that populate both major political parties.

7. Yeah , the cable co's and broadcasters are running a racket.

I rarely watch sports and have had to subsidize steroid using beer guzzling grossly overpaid jock scum for years.

8. Don't constrain yourself, that's what got us into this disaster. People not speaking out.

The MEDIA has taught you to feel guilty or uneasy about speaking out by design.

9. the1

the1

Here's one thing that will make a huge difference. Turn the POS show off. How the hell anyone listens to this insanity is beyond me. I'd rather have a fucking root canal.

10. the1

the1

Great marketing though. Just like MSFT. You buy a computer and you gotta take all their POS applications that come with it. POS but still great marketing. Gotta give the bastards credit for that.

#10     Mar 16, 2009