The first casualty of ‘fairness’ is the truth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader666, Jan 31, 2012.

1. The first casualty of ‘fairness’ is the truth
    Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 01/31/2012
    By Jennifer Rubin

You know what you don’t see much of these days? Those moist-eyed bloggers’ odes to the Occupy Wall Street movement. Gosh, remember the columns telling us these people had a noble political agenda? Seems like just yesterday the lefty bloggers were picking through polls, telling us the American people embraced the OWS gang. But then protest turned to filth, and high-mindedness turned out to be just plain-old stench.

To write such loving tributes to OWS took extraordinary discipline, I suppose. Not to actually look (or smell) and determine who the real Occupiers (as opposed to the Occupiers refashioned for the readers of the New York Times and the Nation) were must have taken real will-power, especially since the encampments in major cities (as in the District) were only a few blocks from the journalists’ offices. Had they taken a peek or inhaled on the way to work they would have discovered the real Occupy movement.

Zack Munson reports: “There are lots of bearded folks (male and female), lots of dirty tents, some college students, the unemployed, the career homeless, some white people dancing out of rhythm to rock music played over a loudspeaker. The ‘movement’ itself is still a jumble of anti-capitalist/police/government rhetoric and pointless noise and pungent smells.” Oh, well, who wants to write about that?

Now the movement is increasingly violent and destructive (shocking, I know, for people who decry private property and want to confiscate wealth and outlaw corporations). The Los Angeles Times reports on the latest in Oakland, Calif.:

So much for the movement for the 99 percent. So much for the idea that this was the left’s answer to the peaceful, law-abiding Tea Party movement.

Where now are the liberal elites who cooed and cheered the mobs? Why, they are silent. They’ve moved on. They always do. And down the memory hole goes the fawning and the pretending that OWS was something other than what it is — violent rabble.

The left has now gone on to greener pastures, fanning the flames of class envy and trying to convince us that the wealthy don’t pay more than the rest of us in taxes (they do, by a lot) and that if we tax Warren Buffett we’ll have enough to keep spending away on social programs (it wouldn’t make a dent in the debt, actually). You see, when you’re in search of “fairness,” facts are a nuisance. If you’re after “fairness” (to get their money do we have to work as hard as the people who earned the money?), OWS rabble are the “oppressed middle class,” and the rich make the rest of us poor, pay less in taxes than the middle class and could, if they didn’t keep so much of their own money (or give it away to charity) solve our fiscal problems in a flash.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-is-the-truth/2012/01/30/gIQA2VYneQ_blog.html

2. JamesL

JamesL

OWS Throws Condoms at Schoolgirls
    By Charles C. W. Cooke
    January 31, 2012 8:31 A.M.

Occupy Wall Street provides yet another example of its admirable ability to focus like a laser on its message of “economic inequality” — this time in Rhode Island. Life Site News reports:

Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street movement threw condoms on Catholic schoolgirls, refused to allow a Catholic priest to give a closing prayer, and shouted down a pro-life speaker at a Rhode Island right to life rally on Thursday, according to its organizer. The event marked the third time protesters associated with the movement have disrupted a pro-life meeting in a week.

About two-dozen members of Occupy Providence hiked from Burnside Park to the 39th Annual Pro-Life State House Rally organized by the Rhode Island State Right to Life Committee on Thursday.

The pro-life organization’s executive director, Barth E. Bracy, told LifeSiteNews.com that, near the end of the rally, the Occupiers “strategically fanned out with military precision.”

That’s when they “started showering condoms down on some of the girls from a Catholic high school.”

This is not the first time that Occupy has disrupted a pro-life march:

Approximately 15 protesters from Occupy D.C. disrupted the March for Life Youth Rally in the nation’s capital last Saturday evening.

Last Monday, they disrupted a prayer service for the unborn in front of the Supreme Court.

We are constantly told that this movement is an “organic” response to the economic crisis, to the bank bailouts, and to the presence of “money in politics.” I have been arguing since it started that it is nothing of the sort; instead being a collection of assorted leftists, each with his own pet cause. Barth Bracey, who organized the pro-life march that was interrupted, seems to concur:

Bracy said he was disappointed when he tried to ask a man from the national Occupy Wall Street movement, who identified himself as “Dallas,” what opposing the right to life had to do with economics. “You can’t have a reasoned conversation with these people,” he said, “They simply try to taunt you. They’re smug, snarky, arrogant. You won’t get a straight answer.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/289712/ows-throws-condoms-schoolgirls-charles-c-w-cooke

3. I remember the young Vietnam war protesters were similarly derided by the anal-retentive right. They just don't like messes, or even young people for that matter. Time proved that those protesters were right also.

4. Mav88

Mav88

of course they are contemptible losers, while responsible people respond to economic crisis by looking for something productive, these guys camp out in public parks and shit on the streets

5. Mav88

Mav88

no it didn't, Nixon and the republicans is what got us out of Vietnam

6. and when the struggle for liberty and freedom bore fruit , everyone ate from the same plate.

7. Proving once again the lack of reading comprehension of righties.........I said the protesters were right... not that they got us out.

8. 377OHMS

377OHMS

That is accurate.

The Vietnam war was started by a democrat and ended by a republican.

The typical pattern is where the left appropriates the truth and flips it around 180 degrees.

The KKK is another example. They were founded by democrats in the postwar south in response to the "radical republicans" who sought to reform the south during reconconstruction. These days the democrats cite the KKK as being a rightwing organization.

Whole chunks of the democratic platform are a lie. There doesn't seem to be any moral problem with the "big lie" for them. It is pretty disturbing.

I see futurecurrents is going to fit right in. When he doesn't like an assertion he questions the reading comprehension of the person who posted the assertion or even a whole group.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

My my my, let me ask you piker. What is your drug of choice?

10. Mav88

Mav88

Well you got me on that one, but this also proves another point. You lefties like symbolism and protests instead of productive activity. Hippies shitting in streets has never solved anything for humanity and when they are done shitting in the streets they just go back to whatever communist hole they crawled out of and light up, but they are your heros. It was the rank and file regular working people that voted for Nixon and his anti war platform. The lefties just happened to be on the winning side, more often they are not.

#10     Feb 1, 2012