The First Anti-Aging Drug is Coming

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

After decades of research, there is still no effective drug that slows down the aging process. There are so many factors involved in aging, that scientists do not know which factor they must use to develop an active remedy for aging. But researchers at the German Cancer Research Center believe that they have now discovered something that will cause the first effective anti-aging pill to come out of the laboratories in the not too distant future.

Human study
    When the researchers compared immune cells from people in their twenties with those from people over 55, they discovered that the aging process makes cells produce less and less thioredoxin [TRX]. Thioredoxin is an enzyme that allows endogenous anti-oxidant molecules such as glutathione to protect cells from aggressive molecules that biochemists call 'free radicals'. Aging symptoms are partly caused by those free radicals.

[​IMG]

The Germans also discovered that the decrease in the production of thioredoxin was caused by an aging-related increase in the production of thioredoxin-interacting protein [TXNIP]. And so the researchers wondered whether they could make cells more resistant to free radicals by slowing down TXNIP cells - and let organisms live longer.

[​IMG]

In vitro study
    The researchers brought a piece of genetic material into the DNA of cells, which made which those cells produce less TXNIP. This new piece of DNA only became active when the researchers exposed the cells to the antibiotic doxycycline [Dox].

The researchers exposed the genetically modified cells to hydrogen peroxide [H2O2; a free radical], a large percentage of the cells died. But when they activated the new gene construct with doxycycline, the mortality of the cells halved. They were protected by a surplus of thioredoxin.

[​IMG]

Animal study: lifespan extension
    The researchers made two types of genetically modified fruit flies. One type made more TXNIP than normal flies, the other kind made less of TXNIP than normal flies. The flies with extra TXNIP lived on average shorter than normal, the flies with less TXNIP on average longer than normal.

[​IMG]

Conclusion
    Although the Germans experimented with cells and fruit flies, not with humans, they think their findings pave the way for the development of a drug, or perhaps a diet or supplement, that will slow down the aging process in humans. "TRX-1 and its opponent TXNIP are highly conserved in the course of evolution; they hardly differ between flies and humans", explains research leader Peter Krammer in a press release. [sciencedaily.com June 20, 2018]

"Scientists have found hundreds of genes that are somehow related to the aging process. But it is enough to switch off TXNIP to delay aging. [...] And that makes it an interesting candidate to intervene in the aging process in the future."

Source:
    FEBS Lett. 2018 Jun 13. doi: 10.1002/1873-3468.13156. [Epub ahead of print].

2. Pekelo

Pekelo

According to the chart, the flies still died at 90 days, just a bigger number made it to that day. So mortality (survival rate) increased, but longevity didn't really...

If you have good genes and you would live up to 95 years, you won't make it to 105 on this drug. And the question is, do you really want to?

3. Correct, just seems MORE people will make it to 95, not that overall will live longer. I don't mind living to 105 as long as I have all my senses about me :).

4. mlawson71

mlawson71

I wonder how much it will cost, once it's released on the market.

5. Humpy

Humpy

If the average longevity of life is doubled and perhaps even made perpetual then there is going to be a major over population problem.

6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Honestly, eternal life isn't this way to do it. Who the hell wants a 100 year old body? Memory (aka personality) up and download is the way.

Rich guys when they hit a certain age where the body is failing can download their brain content and a carefully choosen young person will get a new personality with a huge bank account. well, the laws need to be changed so a person would be classified as the consciousness/personality and not the body.

7. Interesting stuff. But until then, probably the single best anti-aging remedy is exercise. As an added benefit, when done properly, there are no side effects.

8. Your posts are getting increasingly more bizarre. If they ever figure out a way to "download brain content," then wouldn't they probably also be able to clone a younger version of themselves by that time into which to download? What young, "carefully chosen" third party would ever consent to essentially being a full body donor?

Seriously, you need to stop with all these supplements you keep reading about on the Internet; there appear to have been some unanticipated contraindications. :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  9. mlawson71

mlawson71

That's true, but we're still pretty far away from that technology.

10. Humpy

Humpy

Talking about AI I think ultimately they will be able to mimic the brains of the great and good.
    People who are in need of advice might get the very best that the oldies have ever dreamt up.
    People won't say - talk to my solicitor, but talk to my bot.

#10     Jul 5, 2018