the FILM lounge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lilduckling, Aug 15, 2008.

1. This thread is still just starting..... and i wanna include as much people as possible.

So I try to include several levels of cinema....... without turning this thread into a beer and pizza with baseball cap turned backwards kindda group.... im kinda trying to balance it.......

To only discuss the genius art in film, may turn some people off..... then it would just be me posting.

But you make a good point!:)

#51     Aug 20, 2008
  2. Unforgiven is a fantastic western . . . I have to go now and take the wheels off my trailer home.

#52     Aug 20, 2008
  3. agree!:)

the cinematography is beautiful. I also liked the way the story puts an end to so many of the old western myths. To me, this film, is up there with "The Searchers" and I must say, when talking about westerns, both, "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" along with "Once Upon a Time in the West" must also be mentioned here.

#53     Aug 20, 2008
  4. Thought "No Country For Old Men" had no business even being nominated. I woulld like to have seen "Into The Wild" get the Oscar. NCFOM could have been a television episode of Law and Order or something there are alot of films like that, that just because they're offered as films and have the right backing get pushed to the category of esoterica. A film should be something special.

#54     Aug 20, 2008
  5. hughb

hughb

What the hell?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I thought you said you liked drama, and you don't even give a mention to Brokeback Mountain in your top twenty???? Have you not seen this film??? No special effects, no car chases, no hip hop language, nothing but character development and dialog. You completely know Jack and Ennis by the end of the film and you feel their unbearable pain all the way to your core. Three Oscars for this film, count 'em three.

I was depressed for days after seeing this film, and I'm not exaggerating in the least. I could not get out of my seat for ten minutes after the film was over. I refuse to by the DVD because I would not be able to handle those emotions again.

#55     Aug 21, 2008
  6. I like clever plots and twists, 'psychological thrillers'.

have you seen DEATHTRAP?

wonderful film

#56     Aug 21, 2008
  7. I think it's really interesting that if you compiled the list based on AFI and IMDB rankings, Hitchcock has three films in the Top 20. It's insane to me that he wasn't honored as much as he should have been. Look at Psycho - it wasn't even nominated for Best Picture! In fact, none of them were.

Check out the list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Picture.

It's amazing what got nominated in those days. It proves that a film doesn't have to have an award to be considered a classic.

#57     Aug 21, 2008
  8. Clever diabolical plot and Machiavellian characters are the best..

CRUEL INTENTIONS comes to mind

those i hate most rely heavily on 'special effects' to shore up weak plots and story lines.. most films today :mad:

#58     Aug 21, 2008
  9. Great book,great screenplay,great soundtrack too

Who could forget Renton,Sick-Boy,Begbie and the gang?

Seeing it so many times I'm sure you know this,but some trivia - Irvine Welsh who wrote the book cameos as drug-dealer Mikey Forrester

Shallow Grave deserves a mention at this point too

And True Romance

#59     Aug 21, 2008
  10. What makes "Crash" a got-to-see flick is it is so erotically fuuuuuking weird! It reminds you there are some very unusual fetishes out there, and the lengths people will go to satisfy their sexual urges.

"Crash is a 1996 film written and directed by David Cronenberg based on the J. G. Ballard 1973 novel of the same name. It tells the story of a group of people who take sexual pleasure from car accidents.

Crash (1996 film)wikipedia

I \must see this little gem again!! and again!!

#60     Aug 21, 2008