the FILM lounge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lilduckling, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Here's a director for your list: Clint Eastwood.

I would consider Unforgiven to be one of the greatest films of the past twenty years, if not for all time. He brings out the best in actors, and the performances in this film are top-notch. Such a wonderful example of a revisionist western - better than many made in the 70s. And Million Dollar Baby! Unbelievable!

While we're at it, Morgan Freeman is one of the greatest actors of our time. It doesn't get better than his performance in Nurse Betty - forgettable film, heartbreaking performance.

#41     Aug 20, 2008
  2. Yea, I saw the trailer. Musta worked huh. Theres
    even a scene where they're sitting across from each other at a table. I don't know how they iron out who gets forwardmost placement on all the posters, bills, lines etc.. Not alot of backseat taking there but
    no doubt good faith negotiations.

#42     Aug 20, 2008
  3. Sorry but..... this is going to require some work, (have to take a weighted compilation from several internet sources and also from my books on greatest films. A film ranked #5 from say AFI, will have more weight than one ranked #5 from IMDB.) I dont have time to do the research for 2 separate lists..... so will only do 20 Greatest Films of All Time.

#43     Aug 20, 2008
  4. I liked The Fountain ...Hugn Jackman, Rachel Weisz.I don't know if anybody else did. Its a science fantasy romance where Jackman is a doctor searching into the future for a cure for Weisz who is dying of a terminal disease. And not just because the ring in the film, which plays a very prominent part in the plot is strangely the exact same ring as my wedding ring down to the smallest details.

#44     Aug 20, 2008
  5. DeNiro and Pacino..... hard to really say which of the two is the better man. Both legends. Both have such a range..... and not afraid to take on any rolls (DeNiro gives another dude a hand job in "1900" a long ass film..... Pacino takes it in the ass from a dude in "Cruising"..... only history will tell who was the better actor. As far as Oscars, DeNiro has 2 while Pacino has 1,
    but Pacino has just slightly more total wins and nominations than Deniro.

#45     Aug 20, 2008
  6. the colour of money... clint eastwood.. morgan freeman..are you kidding??

i thought this thread was about true genius ART in the film

not hack movies for trailer park set

#46     Aug 20, 2008
  7. I am not here to attack anyone. I am here to debate, though.

What's your idea of quality filmmaking? Can't there be good American filmmakers?

I will agree on The Color of Money, though - Tom Cruise is a hack - that's regardless of his personal views.

#47     Aug 20, 2008
  8. The prequel to the color of money was "The Hustler" 1961 with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason which I thought was great.

And I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Peter Sellers. "Being There" and "Dr. Strangeglove" are hilarious.

"Seven Samurai" 1954

#48     Aug 20, 2008
  9. I'll throw out one I haven't seen anyone mention... Trainspotting! One of my all time favorite movies. It is a very dark movie in spots but hilarious and very entertaining. There are scenes that are so funny I laugh like I am seeing it for the first time... and I am on about 100 times now. Check it out.

#49     Aug 20, 2008
  10. Howdy everyone! HERE IT IS!!

I have compiled a list of what is considered the very best, cream of the crop of film cinema!!!

THE Greatest 20 Pictures of ALL TIME!

Now keep in mind, the list is not based on how the film did in revenues.... its just what the majority from expert resources....... not me...... state.

Enjoy..... and please voice your opinions!!!!!!

#20 VERTIGO 1958 ....... (Drama/Thriller)
    #19 NORTH BY NORTHWEST.......... 1959 (Mystery/Thriller)
    #18 CITY LIGHTS 1931........ (Romantic Comedy)
    #17 LORD OF THE RINGS: Return of the King 2003...... (Fantasy/Adventure) 11 Oscars
    #16 CHINATOWN 1974 ........(Mystery/Thriller) 1 Oscar
    #15 ON THE WATERFRONT 1954 ........(Drama) 8 Oscars
    #14 RAGING BULL 1980 ........(Drama) 2 Oscars
    #13 THE GRADUATE 1968 ........(Drama/Comedy) 1 Oscar
    #12 SCHINDLER'S LIST 1993 .........(Drama) 7 Oscars
    #11 WIZARD OF OZ 1939 ......... (Fantasy/Advendure) 2 Oscars
    #10 IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE 1947......(Drama/Fantasy) 5 Oscars
    #9 STAR WARS 1977 .........(Science Fiction) 6 Oscars
    #8 SUNSET BOULEVARD 1950 ....... (Drama) 3 Oscars
    #7 PSYCHO 1960 ...... (Horror/Thriller)
    #6 SINGING IN THE RAIN 1952 .......(Musical)
    #5 LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 1962 ........(Epic Drama) 7 Oscars
    #4 THE GODFATHER 1972 ........(Drama) 3 Oscars
    #3 GONE WITH THE WIND 1939 .......(Epic Drama) 8 Oscars
    #2 CASABLANCA 1942 ........(Drama) 3 Oscars
    prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (drum roll) prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#1 CITIZEN KANE 1941 (Drama) 1 Oscar

I bought Citizen Kane DVD a few years back, happily put it
    into the DVD player to watch it, cause i had heard so much
    about how this film stays remaining as the greatest of all
    time. Anyways, i watched 15 minutes of it and couldn't take it
    no more..... took it out.... found it too boring.
    I few years later, I decided to give this film another shot..
    since obviously it was i that didn't "get it". By this time
    I had already been watching other films from the 30's and 40's
    including a few silent pictures, so I was kinda adjusted for a film like this.
    Well the second time I was able to see many things I didn't on the first run....

film was much more enjoyable and interesting..... still not my favorite, but highly ranked for me.
    :)

#50     Aug 20, 2008