The Feds Effort Has Done Nothing

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Aaron Copland, Aug 25, 2008.

1. look what happened when credit spreads began to tighten in march. the price of oil and commodities went into orbit. Thats the price we pay for constant credit expansion. Its massively inflationary.

loose credit= high inflation. the money always finds is most coveted. right now its resources

#41     Aug 25, 2008
  2. It seems the banks are BROKE! don't tell anyone you might create a panic.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h3/Current/

#42     Aug 25, 2008
  3. The CRB index is 5% below its March 1 level now. Funny isn't it, considering the Fed is printing money 24/7 and pumping credit around the world?!

On a side note, Gold went from $650 to $1000 when Volcker started to raise rates and only started to implode many months later.

#43     Aug 25, 2008
  4. He is brainwashed and dumber than dirt, but in this case, you are even worse.

Even the average American isn't stupid enough to trust FDIC to perform if multiple banks fail.

#44     Aug 25, 2008
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Idiotic....... I know many, many Americans that work and put away money in 401k's and don't use credit cards.. some in the US have a negative rate and some positive.. overall is negaite but are the positive savings rate people going to say "relax, don't worry about the failing bank, overall we have a negative savings rate" LOL.

#45     Aug 25, 2008
  6. Excellent post.

#46     Aug 25, 2008
  7. Agreed 100%.

I'm always amazed at the rather "naive" posters in these threads that jump up and down blaming Bernanke and the FED for inflation - - - and yet they have no problem ushering in a total DEFLATIONARY collapse that would totally KILL off the American economy.

And to think that there isn't even a significant statistical chance of that happening at this time, is really putting your head in the sand.

#47     Aug 25, 2008
  8. Uhm thanks for the explaining the TED spread to me. As you correctly say it's a market rate and the market rate signals a tight credit market for the average bank. END OF MESSAGE.

These will once again disseminate credit into the economy once their balance sheets allow for it and they feel more confident in getting their loans paid back by consumers and corporations. Nobody in their right mind would expect banks to pass through lower Fed rates right now to suspect borrowers without the typical 18-24 months lag.

The matter of the fact is that a series of Fed rate hikes in order to 'decelerate debt-fueled consumer and corporate spending' are unnecessary at this time. Credit is tight, there is no need to make it tighter.

Regarding your $10 hot dog metaphor... Who cares if the hot dog costs $10? I don't. All I care about is how long I have to work for it. Are you better off knowing a hot dog is $2 in 10 years just like it is today? Or are you better off knowing that the amount of time you have to spend working in order to purchase a certain good becomes less and less in the future?

#48     Aug 25, 2008
  9. I know and in case you havent noticed CDS are right where they are in march. My guess is A LOT of bankruptcies are around the corner.

I guess right now deflation is winning the battle.

#49     Aug 25, 2008

10. Indeed some do save and live within there means, and they are the ones getting hurt by earning nil on there savings.

I have no problem with the Fed helping depositary banks, they should not open the discount window to Wall Street investment banks, that’s my issue here.

#50     Aug 25, 2008