The Federal Reserve System - Purposes & Functions

Discussion in 'Economics' started by 2cents, Aug 17, 2006.

1. This is not that complicated. It just requires common sense. Long before the constitution, there have been central banks in existence all over europe. The founding fathers weren't stupid, obviously they knew central banks having complete control over an economy using paper assets led to economic abuse.

They didnt' have to write in the constitution "central banks are not allowed." They simply assigned the power to "Congress." Does the word CONGRESS mean or sound like BANK to you? I think not. The first 2 attempts at creating a central bank failed (First and Second Banks of the United States). Too bad the third time was a charm.

#31     Aug 24, 2006
  2. common sense, but of course! thats a pretty high standard to measure that sthg is unconstitutional innit?! anything more, like, concrete?? if thats not too much of a strain of course...

btw, was it Congress who enacted the Federal Reserve Act?
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75091&perpage=6&pagenumber=5
    mmmhhh... sounds v.unconstitutional to me that!!! maybe u guys shld get rid of Congress too... what d'u think?

#32     Aug 24, 2006
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Read the way how it was enacted. It begins like this:

On a cold morning just before Christmas when most Congressmen already left for the holidays....

P.S.: Plenty of laws are striked down later as being unconstitutional...

#33     Aug 24, 2006
  4. how does that make the Act and the Fed "unconstitutional", or sthg the constitution wanted to avoid?? help me out there plse

#34     Aug 24, 2006
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

If everybody had been present, they wouldn't have voted for the Act, thus the tricky way they did it.

Another one: According to the Constitution, nobody but the Congress can print money. Since the Fed can make money, it is unconstitutional...

Now, no more answers for you until you read Creature from Jekyll Island, that will answer all your questions...

#35     Aug 24, 2006
  6. i see... funnily i haven't heard of any constitutional lawyer on the land who's sharing that opinion... have u? have they all been bought perhaps? or woooorse??? :eek:

#36     Aug 24, 2006
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

You know, ignorance becomes a sin once you have been pointed to the right direction...

I already posted this in a similar thread:

I am done with this thread, go educate yourself. Will be enlightening...

#37     Aug 24, 2006
  8. ya, http://home.hiwaay.net thats so my type of reliable source of info, like, totally :D :D :D

anyway, still can't see what any of this past century rearguard stuff has got to do with today's Fed and modern finance & banking... {yaaaawn}...

#38     Aug 24, 2006
  9. other minor point perhaps, any idiot can be elected Congressman in the US... Ron Paul a more contemporary example... that doesn't make any of these guys a constitutional lawyer, nor give them the competence to argue a point of constitutional law...
    so unless anyone's got any better on the libertarian / austrian muppets' 'unconstitutional, duh!' argument, i trust we can move on...

#39     Aug 24, 2006
  10. So 2Cents, What do you have against free markets? You must prefer to have someone tell you how to operate rather than decide for yourself.

If you've covered this in another thread my apologies. This is the first time I've witnessed your vehement disdain for free markets.

#40     Aug 24, 2006