The Fall of Refco Trading Services

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by rtsisfalling, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Mediocre

Mediocre Guest

I work at RTS Chicago. We have not been allowed to trade since Wednesday of last week. This place is a joke!

If Man decides to keep us open, they're going to need to offer generous splits to keep anybody here.

#31     Dec 1, 2005
  2. TGM

TGM

Magnus Greaves and his partners were bought out by Refco. I wonder if they got screwed on Refco stock?? When it got killed?? Maybe he can do an article stating whether he took cash or options???????

#32     Dec 1, 2005
  3. Mediocre

Mediocre Guest

Cash, Refco was privately held when Mac was sold to Refco.

#33     Dec 1, 2005
  4. Sorry that's where the London traders still pick up their statements, which is odd as we are owned by http://www.marathonfund.com now.

Our american arm has stayed with MAN and is now a completely separate set up. That means the London traders can no longer go the the american offices to trade and vice versa. RTS London, Brighton, Brentwood, Gibralter and Singapore are still going unaffected although marathon may decide to cull some satellite offices. Marathon say they will keep the MAC business model so leverage etc shouldn't be affected. Apparently when asked what they thought of the set up they said "we ****in' love it"

#34     Dec 2, 2005
  5. I believe there is more complication on the US side in that the traders are salaried employees due to the laws whereas in europe the traders are entirely self employed

#35     Dec 2, 2005
  6. Any word on what has happened to the Chicago, NYC, Miami offices?

#36     Dec 2, 2005
  7. Mediocre

Mediocre Guest

It hasn't been announced officially, but it will be later today. RTS Chicago, New York and Miami will be shut down.

#37     Dec 2, 2005
  8. marky1

marky1

Question for you refco boys.

The ones that RTS backed, I think their contract stipulates if either party went into administration the contract is terminated. Did RTS as part of the refco group go into administration or bankruptcy proceedings or was it just one part of refco. Also how likey is it that the new owners will enforce contracts for recent graduates that are not yet profitable. I can't help but think they wouldn't be bothered if a few recent hires walked out?

#38     Dec 2, 2005
  9. The proposal we received and reviewed was before the Refco deal by just a few months.

Don

#39     Dec 2, 2005
  10. Man Group already has offices in Chicage and New York. They pawned the London unit off to Marathon. They are cutting the fat quickly.

Trader/God

#40     Dec 2, 2005