The Evolution Of Bodybuilding; An Interview With Author Gordon LaVelle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, May 17, 2018.

1. DTB2

DTB2

78/79? There was nobody to beat in those shows. Robby? Always out of proportion. Roger Walker? Please. Callender, Padilla, Old Boyer Coe (whose physique got worse every year after 69/70 IMO)? Nah none of these guys had "it".

1980 Sergio would have still stomped the all at the O.
    He had just made Bertil Fox looks small that year.[​IMG]

#21     Mar 24, 2020
  2. I don’t think physique competition should be predominantly about size. Look where that thinking brought pro bodybuilding today.

As for your reference to Robbie Robinson, that guy was no slouch. In fact, Joe Weider’s imaginary physique, posing with his arms folded in his old product ads, was actually Robinson’s with Weider’s head on top.

https://engravediniron.com/2018/10/08/would-the-real-joe-weider-please-stand-up/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    #22     Mar 24, 2020
  3. DTB2

DTB2

Robbie's upper body especially the peaked biceps were phenomenal. Just don't look at his legs.

I'm no size monster at all but when comparable physiques are compared, the bigger should always win IMO.

Somehwere along the line, Mentzer lost his "vacuum" pose and overdeveloped his obliques resulting in a more blocky look, not good.

#23     Mar 24, 2020
  4. So what you're saying is that there's not enough muscle on this guy:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As for Mentzer, I agree that he was stocky-looking; too thick. Even so, by competitive standards, in late 1979, Mentzer won the heavyweight class of the Mr. Olympia, again with a perfect 300 score, but he lost in the overall to Frank Zane who was awarded the title for a third time that year. So much happens in one year, eh? That Arnold beat him coming out of retirement at the last minute? Sure.

Regardless, I think we're getting into the weeds here. In my opinion, bodybuilding should be about aesthetics first, size second. When mass comes first, this is what you get:

[​IMG]

Come on. Seriously?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    #24     Mar 25, 2020
  5. Although I am no longer interested in supplementing, as I noted above, I am curious. Did you find that the L-Citrulline gave you noticeable benefits? And, if so, can you elaborate with some specifics to which you attribute the substance?

#25     Mar 25, 2020
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    #26     Mar 25, 2020
  7. Not to belabor the point (sort of), but consider this interview Mentzer gave some years later about the 1980 Olympia contest:

Also, consider the comparative pictures of him and Schwarzenegger in that contest, displayed during the course of the audio interview. Be objective, and tell me what you think.

Again, I really don't give a shit about contests. It's the interpretation of history that annoys me.

#27     Mar 30, 2020
  8. DTB2

DTB2

Maybe I can't be objective but I'll try.

On some of the relaxed poses Mentzer's conditioning stands out in others you gut bloat, narrow clavicle and no pecs compared to Arnold.

During the posing, where Arnold always shined, Arnold just pops as always. His personality comes out, beaming smile and his muscles come alive. Unfortunately for Mentzer, his personality also comes out as I've always found him to be sour grapes. As soon as he has to raise his arms for a pose-POOF- his pecs disappear. Picture at 4:02 shows what I mean.

As to those who finished above or tied with Mike, Arnold's condition was not that far off to have these "small" men win.

Just how I see it. Was Arnold in 1974 shape? No, but he didn't need that to win in Sydney.

#28     Mar 30, 2020
  9. DTB2

DTB2