The Evolution Of Bodybuilding; An Interview With Author Gordon LaVelle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frederick Foresight, May 17, 2018.

1. #11     Mar 24, 2020
  2. Interesting. This is the first I've even heard of it. Doesn't seem to have any known risks for those not on certain medications, but I'm no longer interested in supplementing beyond anything other than a generic multi-vitamin. However, these folks suggest that it does not enhance athletic performance:

...Some people also take L-citrulline to build muscles and improve athletic performance. But research shows it does not help well-trained athletes perform or exercise better.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/l-citrulline-uses-and-risks#1

I'll just stay on the sidelines.

#12     Mar 24, 2020
  3. DTB2

DTB2

Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors is another good book. Haven't read the entirety but from the excerpts it is very good.

#13     Mar 24, 2020
  4. Two volumes! One review on Amazon suggests the author has dietary biases. What’s that about?

#14     Mar 24, 2020
  5. DTB2

DTB2

I don't know. I believe the author, Randy Roach, is blind.

#15     Mar 24, 2020
  6. Then he must have judged the 1980 Mr. Olympia contest. :D

#16     Mar 24, 2020
  7. DTB2

DTB2

You still think Mentzer won that, right?

#17     Mar 24, 2020
  8. Not necessarily, although he looked better than Arnie. But I think Zane looked better than both. Not bigger, just better. Better symmetry and taper.

#18     Mar 24, 2020
  9. DTB2

DTB2

Remember, to be the champ you have to beat the champ. No way was Mentzer beating Arnold even with Arnold in sub par condition.

Doubly no way was Zane at his size taking down the Oak. No way, no how, not ever.

#19     Mar 24, 2020
  10. Zane won the Olympia in both 1978 and 1979. Schwarzenegger was nowhere near his peak in 1980. He looked comparatively flabby in 1980, and was already pursuing an acting career at the time. He did not even comply with the contest entry rules but was allowed to enter. Reportedly, a lot of people believed that the fix was in. Perhaps it was to further the mass appeal of bodybuilding because of Arnold’s name recognition outside of bodybuilding circles. Look, I like the guy but in no way did he deserve to win the Olympia in 1980.

#20     Mar 24, 2020