the EU mess

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Kicking, Jun 16, 2005.

1. While I am not familiar with situation in Spain I am going to try to guess what else you brother had (I could be wrong of course):

29K Salary + 4-6 weeks of vacation + Guaranteed healthcare even if he loses his job + Guaranteed retirement + Subsidized excellent public transportation to/from work + Subsidized or free excellent quality higher education for all his children (100K per child value)

My point is that it's not as simple as 67K(with overtime) in the USA vs 29K in Barselona. The actual difference is significantly smaller. Of course Spain is not even among the richest European countries.

There is nothing wrong with europeans, they just have different priorities (like quality of life).

#11     Jun 16, 2005
  2. domi93

domi93

He's reciving the same benefits here in the state, the only diference its that he health insurance its over after 6 month after he leaves..
    and 4 weeks paid vacation per year..

free flights, hotel discounts everywere in the world etc etc etc..
    less taxes, Cost of living is less expensive in the state (he lives in dallas texas now)

And it depends a lot what you call quality of life.. its a very subjective word.. for example, for my italians friends their quality of life is be able to laid back 6-10 weeks per year, while for US people the quality of life means be able to have two houses, few good cars etc etc.. that's way consumption is too strong here..

for example
    If Swedes, usually perceived in Europe as a comfortable, middle class lot, are poorer than African Americans, the most economically deprived group in the United States..

and african-american people, who have the lowest income in the United States, now have a higher standard of living than an ordinary Swedish household (The Swedish Research Institute of Trade (HUI) )

Last time i went too italy, everybody talks about Bush, its even funny, like if bush were Italy president... They seems to care more about US politics than its own political mess (No president in italy in the past 40-50 years has finished the presidential term)

#12     Jun 16, 2005
  3. He certainly got a nice package with Delta, much better than a typical american package of 1-2 weeks of paid vacation and COBRA healthcare option if laid off (paying out of pocket for former employer's health insurance for 6 months).

Nice to work in an industry where unions are still strong :D :D

That's exactly what I meant

#13     Jun 16, 2005
  4. Europeans make war on each other on a regular basis and since it has been 60 years since the last war (other than Bosnia) then they are due.

Imagine a Germany with a new government. Imagine France with a different government. There is nothing in Europe to stop Europe from giving the world the next Hitler, or Napoleon.

Only reason EU was even conceived was due to French ambitions to counter America. They say it has all these other reasons, economic etc, but the deal is boiling over now due to of all things farm susideries. Not science, not industry but farm subsidies of all things. Why are they so important to France?? Because the farmers keep them in power. Power so they can collect bribes when the opportunity arises, like with Sadaam. Power to tax so they can spread the money around to there buddies in return for campaign contributions.

The failure of this can be blame on Chirac. When he is out of office he will prosecuted for corruption. Then the world will see what kind of man he is.

John

#14     Jun 16, 2005
  5. You laid out the facts quite nicely.

Just a small addition, you meant to say FOX, not CNN. CNN is considered "left wing" nowadays.

#15     Jun 17, 2005
  6. The dollar is way up against the majors this sunday night. I expected that after the EU budget crisis now officially declared -not quite sure why the yen is down as well anything else going on ?

and how big a deal is this budget crisis for the EU economy? not quite sure of that either , thing is we are so used to that kind of sh*t in Europe

#16     Jun 19, 2005

7. Could you elaborate on this ?

Thanks !

#17     Jun 20, 2005
  8. mhashe

mhashe

Well it sure seems to be a global trend in Democracies. Incompetent Village flat earth idiots seem to be dictating who gets elected into office. Idiots elect other idiots who beget corruption and idiotic governance. What else do you expect from illiterates who think humans walked with dinos.

#18     Jun 20, 2005
  9. You should stop posting cause you do not know what you're talking about.
    USA is very segregated, lot of prejudice & racism.

#19     Jun 20, 2005
  10. Agree. Maybe once upon a time we were a "melting pot" type culture. But now we have forsaken most of our history ( & knowledge of that history) and the multiculturalism paradigm gives us 'separate but equal' and everyone goes off to do their own thing.

#20     Jun 20, 2005