The end of perpetual auto leases, shopertainment, new tv sets every 3 years.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Back to the days of people buying a car and holding it for a couple of years.

no more shopertainment, going to the weekend and spending 200-300 or more at the mall buying chinese goods and then putting all that shit in the attic eventually.

buying a new entertainment system every 3 years.

back to 1950's style frugality. People are going to get tired of working 80 hour days and kids never seeing mom and dad.

I wonder if discipline problems and ADD will disappear as well now that a new society will emerge and parents will actually spend quality time with their kids instead of working like dogs to meet monthly margin calls.

2. I have a Harman Kardon receiver that I bought in 1993 and it's still better than half of the crap on the market.

3. Have a Sony receiver from 1973, found it at a garage sale. Top of the line back then, when Japanese were still over-engineering to overcome the kind of reputation we currently attribute to Chinese manufacturing.

Weighs literally three times as much as any modern 48-channel 8 gigawatt piece of shit you'll find on the shelves at Best Buy. Of course, it sounds a heck of lot better as well, as the weight is all in the non-switching power supply and the massive heatsinks. Not to mention it can actually drive electrostatics, which tend to fry "consumer" amps even from "respected" name brands.

I love that thing. It has spot of honor in the Big Daddy room, just down the wall from the fave valve guitar amp. Why would I even think about replacing it...?

4. Mr Pain

Mr Pain

I previously liked to buy cars ever 4 or 5 years but not this time. I am on 8 years and I like my car better everyday. At 109k miles it drives as well as it did new. Cars just last longer now.

Watch this. It is part 1 of 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-dib6hSlcU

Af-flu-en-za n. 1. The bloated, sluggish and unfulfilled feeling that results from efforts to keep up with the Joneses. 2. An epidemic of stress, overwork, waste and indebtedness caused by dogged pursuit of the American Dream. 3. An unsustainable addiction to economic growth. 4. A television program that could change your life.
    Affluenza is a one-hour television special that explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and overconsumption. Here you can learn more about the show, get an Affluenza diagnosis and check out resources for treatment. Don't miss our Teacher's Guide, available only on this Web site.
    Escape from Affluenza is the solution-oriented sequel to Affluenza. Hosted by Wanda Urbanska, co-author of Simple Living, Escape picks up where Affluenza left off by profiling people and organizations that are reducing consumption and waste, choosing work that reflects their values and working to live in better balance with the environment.
    Affluenza is a production of KCTS/Seattle and Oregon Public Broadcasting and was made possible by a grant from The Pew Charitable Trusts.

5. it's nice until you hook it up to a home theater system and try play modern formats such as 5.1 or 7.1