"The Emotions of Math"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rossmedia, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Well, your point about Black Box technology is absolutely harmonious to my original point. BB's cannot dissect and technologically front run an unknown real-time event...that is why I stated they work "at times."

The nucleus is that we have made a tragically incorrect assumption with our pre-supposition about math, its numbers, its use etc...math is part art, part science, why do I say that? I'm glad you asked...

Science is its own method for proving, or disproving its own validity, and although their are a host of issues when one utilizes and "agent' to prove an "agent" for now we will leave that be. Interestingly enough, math appeals to logic, not math. There is no mathematical petri disk that can distil an equation. So then we use math as a tool of logical understanding, not scientific certainty.

Say you have 10 people who all need an orange, 5 oranges + 5 oranges is 10, great everyone has an orange now. But say that these ten people live in the back desert of an uncivilized world, they call 5 fifty and 10 one hundred. Now then, math "should" actually be a movable derivative of the logic a people uses versus a static number that attempts to have all bow at its feet. In many ways science is discovered while math is made...

Back to our oranges...because one calls 5 fifty or 10 one hundred has nothing to do with the logical process of why one needs 5 or ten of anything. If I like to play golf because it relaxes me calling it folg will not eliminate my relaxation...nothing, in reality, changes because of the title I give.

Math is the only medium, academic or otherwise that "we" disallow flexibility because we desire so badly to to have a teachable, elementary unit of measurement. I just believe one day many will see the inaccuracy in this model and everything will change. So, are those people mathmatically wrong? or is the math wrong?

-Ross

#51     Jun 25, 2006
  2. "The Emotions of Math"?

How about "The Maths of Emotions"? :D

Or "The Emotions of Myth". :confused:

#52     Jun 25, 2006
  3. can stocks exist without the underlying company?

you are confusing the structure of math with the nature of math.

the map is not the territory.

surfer

#53     Jun 25, 2006
  4. #54     Jun 25, 2006
  5. OK, let's stop right here and issue a major fad alert. Throw the Fad Flag, if you will.

When did "Math" become "maths?"

Is that like "the new math?"

Did it happen around the time a resume became a "cv," right after a medium iced coffee became a "tall?" About a decade after Gross National Product became Gross Domestic Product? (is there something offensive {or gross} about the concept of "national product?"

OK, just a little reality check. Thanks.

don't bore me with answers about how all sophistocated it is now. there's nothing new under the sun.

math is still math.

and it's still mostly addition and subtraction.

I can the hear air whooshing out of everyone's ego baloons now...

#55     Jun 26, 2006
  6. #56     Jun 26, 2006
  7. Myth or Maths? :D

#57     Jun 26, 2006