"The Emotions of Math"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rossmedia, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Im detecting some volalitility in the Tide contract and the Pepsi bond in aisle 2, can I get a price check please?

#41     Jun 22, 2006
  2. Ozzy,

Yes do that. The bottom line is there is no need to re-invent. Prices are all-around us. There is a reason the biggest, most profitable corporations are just that. They understand the emotional component of the consumer all too well.

If you just sit back, open your eyes and look around you, when you return to your level 2 you'll be surprised at what you now see.

-Ross

#42     Jun 22, 2006
  3. I remember taking a business course somewhere...

The fastest path to increase profits is to raise prices...

The increased "volume thingy model" due to lower prices...just did not compare..

#43     Jun 22, 2006
  4. In an attempt to consolidate my views on this topic, I think the following adds needed lucidity to my conclusion. As traders I believe we do well to explore further the origin of what we consider objective stats or pure mathematics.

If you view emotions as water everyone has it. From water some get ice, some steam, some irrigation, some sanitation, some energy etc…the question is then are any of these derivatives “pure” or better said which of the water derivatives are absolutely, inherently void of water, or at minimum the influence of water?

More practically, stock options, while not stocks, cannot exist without their underlying parent, we are then comfortable with the fact the underlying has a direct influence on its derivative. Yet when it comes to statistics, math etc…we treat these units of measurements as if they are not a derivative of the things, persons, or events they represent. This is a mistake. Math, in all its forms, is necessarily a derivative of the pre-existing events they seek to permanently quantify.

-Ross

#44     Jun 24, 2006
  5. I agree with your comments 100%. The clarity of your writing is symbolic of someone who has walked the walk.

#45     Jun 24, 2006
  6. I am a discretionary trader. I would like to dissect this discussion from my trading universe. I do not use trading systems. I simply trade actively and make money.

First things first what I am going to say might be off topic, but here it goes.

From my standpoint a trader must separate "emotions" and "intuition".

For example I trade ER2. My TT(Trading Technologies) workstation has three MD Trader windows open ES(S&P 500),ER2(Russell 2000), and NQ(Nasdaq 100). I look at these order books to make my trading decisions. When I make a trade it is an "intuitive" feeling that I can make money. It is almost like my brain is calculating all the stimuli on my TT workstation and when the right situation is their I strike! I would not call this "intuition" an emotion. However it takes great courage, excitement, energy, concentration to follow this intuition.

For me during the trading day there are good and bad "emotions". The good emotions are the excitement I feel when the trading day begins. The feeling of contentment when I am focused on the market, and seem to be in the flow. The bad emotions are the ones that take me out of the present moment.

Ross I would like you to dissect my comments and tell me if my experience fits into your discussion. I understand you guys want to talk about math and trading systems, but how about the trader like myself that believes his "intuition" is the best and only system he needs. How do I fit in your discussion?

I have to say I have enjoyed reading your post!!

#46     Jun 24, 2006
  7. math...emotions? how about: math...laws of nature? emotions are how people react to the things that math measures.

#47     Jun 24, 2006
  8. #48     Jun 25, 2006
  9. Rossmedia, you make mention of black boxes being able to out peform emotional beings right?

I can agree with that, but answer me this one question. How does a blackbox handle a terrorist attack where the market freakin tanks? No discretion right? After all it is a black box that can't think.

Is there some perfect coding that factors in trading right in front of a major econonic report? North Korean missle crisis ? I just have a hard time believing that a black box can handle these situations, but I am new and willing to listen if someone can demonstrate otherwise.

On the other hand, the black box can execute without emotion and fear so there are the pros and cons as I see it.

#49     Jun 25, 2006
  10. Scalper 21, I am new and maybe that's why, but how can one interpret anything of the ladder when there are so many bluffers pulling orders left and right. I have used TT too and know you can see counterparty, but still that's impressive if you can trade sucessfully off of that.

#50     Jun 25, 2006