The Embrace of Risk

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ballymalin, Feb 28, 2008.

1. After 23 years of trading I find that it is never the money that keeps me trading. It is embracing risk. Somewhere in my inner being I need to understand and embrace risk. Over and over again.

I can trade and make money, but risk is always there. Many go teach or write courses. I did too. But there is no risk there. I stopped that and started trading again.

Aah living again with risk! The blood is flowing again.

So I have found several quotes that fit the embrace of risk. I will share a few here with you.

Please post some of your favourite quotes and ideas.

Many of Osho talks can be easily adapted for trading. Here is one.

"LIVE moment to moment. Om…to…Om

For three weeks, try: whatsoever you are doing, do it as totally as possible; love it and enjoy it. Maybe it looks silly. When you are trading the emini S&P it is silly to enjoy it too much – it is just trading an ordinary market. But ordinary markets can become extraordinarily beautiful – a tremendous experience if you enjoy it.

Enjoy it with deep reverence. Make it a ceremony: making trades ... watching and listening to the ticks move, then clicking the mouse ... watching the movement of the market, the beauty of it; then winning in a trade and feeling happy, then a small loss in a trade and feeling happy.

Dead people cannot trade the emini; only very alive people can. This moment you are alive! This moment you are trading. Feel thankful! And don’t think of the future; the next moment will take care of itself. Think not of the morrow: for three weeks live in the moment.

Put everything at stake. Be a risktaker! Risk everything, because the next moment is not certain, so why bother? Why be concerned?

Live dangerously, live joyously. Live without fear, live without guilt. Live without any fear of hell, or any greed for heaven. Just live!"

JUST RISK!

2. ...and another I kinda like. Is there something about risking that helps us grow?

"You have to drop the calculating mind. You have to risk. You have to live dangerously. Remember one thing: Never forget the art of risking, Never, Never, Never.

Always remain capable of risking. Wherever you can find an opportunity to risk, never miss it, and you will never be a loser.
    Risk is the only guarantee for being truly alive.

People will have to change their whole life pattern. Don’t make your tomorrow predictable. Expect nothing and be ready for everything.

That’s what I mean when I say Live dangerously.

JUST LIVE!"

3. I dunno...sounds risky...

4. "Life is on the wire. The rest is just waiting."

Rounders movie quote:cool:

5. I still look forward to every trading day. I am still profitable. Life is good.