The Elite Trader of Yore

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by Pabst, Apr 3, 2003.

1. RAY

RAY

Yes,

I remember the days when there would only be a single post (the entire day, or weekend). Then it quickly developed into a place to discuss. People would post, and reply, only if they had something of value to say or add.

Today is a different story, I am getting sick of the, "Hey I am not doing anything right now so why don't I post something." Or, the no your not, yes I am, no your not, yes I am arguments. And the best occurs when someone says one of the prop-chop-shops is about to go under...

I owe alot to this site, I started coming hear way before the date under my 'name', and I have found many great ideas, but it is becoming big and old.

Why in gods name do we have so many qdz's? Why do we have people who are newbies throwing around ones and twos (lots)running off people who are established, and actually have a career participating (profiting) in the markets?

Until you know their game, show some respect to others, their opinions and ideas.

I feel that the problems with this message board can be resolved:

Put the ip address for each member as they post.

and/or

Charge a 1 time sign up fee of $5 to post.

Get rid of the small % that is the trash and, well, "The Elite Trader of Yore."

I know I miss it.

PS. EliteTrader should not be a "place to chit-chat."

#61     Apr 10, 2003
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

I know it's not a poplular opinion but I agree completely. There will be those whose whole lives revolve around chit-chat, and they won't like this notion. But this is Elite Trader, not a political discussion board (there are plenty of those on the net), not a silly poll of-the-day club, not a how-do-I-get-laid hotline, but a place to discuss trading. Endless arguments and name-calling and threatening the Sedition Act have no place on a trading website, and they diminish Elite Trader.

#62     Apr 10, 2003
  3. I've been here nearly two weeks. I got in and posted often and early and can already see how annoying I must have been. I still don't have the experience of most here, but hope I can contribute once in a while and glean a great deal more from others. I have seen it suggested and it would have been useful to have some guidelines for posting. The real pricks will ignore them, but for those who care to be of value but are too ignorant/anxious to wait things out and read through some back-threads they would be quite useful. They'd need to be somewhere where you wouldn't have to look too hard and as an incentive to read them they could include some commonly used abbreviations. Thankyou to all who still make this site informative and intriguing,
    rlb

#63     Apr 10, 2003
  4. rs7

rs7

OK, I of course can see your point. But my counterpoint would be this:

I came onto ET and tried to make some serious contributions to the trading forums. TriPack was impressed enough to condense a bunch of my posts into a "gems" thread.

But the fact is, as an experienced trader trying to sincerely help less experienced traders, it got pretty frustrating. So I sort of gave up. A contributing factor to this, of course, is each of us just has so much to say. No one really wants to be repetitious. The search function works great, and if you know what to look for, you will find it.

But just using myself as an example....good or bad....it is hard to try and make a best effort to help, and get slammed for it. Yet still, I stick around, and yes, I waste plenty of time contributing in the chit-chat nonsense, but it passes the time. Which we all seem to have plenty of. Good trading is supposed to be boring...at least my style is. I don't want to trade without a reason. And this has worked for me for many years. Patience is the name of the game.

But I DO read the trading posts even if I don't often write in them any more. I personally feel I have done more than enough. But you never know. Yesterday, there was a discussion of "fair value", and I said I would give a full and easily understood explanation of what it is, how it impacts our trading, and why. (someone posted a link to a $2800 seminar that I KNOW I can teach better in a few posts for free, as should anyone who has traded S&P futures, or anyone who even has a series 3 and a little interest). So when the whim is there, I will do just that. Meanwhile, I find the MondoTrader/Wild wars amusing, and sometimes even informative. (Not those guys, but the others that interject).

And there is definitely something to be said for keeping the mind well tuned. A debate on politics beats playing a video game in the doldrums IMO. And as it says on the title, "there is more to life than just trading" (or words to that effect).

And certainly, "name calling", "endless arguments", and especially nonsense like "threatening the sedition act" is the way of the minority. Vocal as they may be. If any of us were to wade through those chit chat threads, it is a lot clearer who is worthy of listening to and who is not. And THAT TOO helps me pay attention to who says what in the trading forums. If I see Tampa, or Nitro, or Madison to name just a few, make a post in the trading forums, I at least know I am going to be reading something written by someone with the ability to think. If I see a post in the trading forums by those who have proven themselves to be non thinking fanatics in chit chat, I know not to bother reading their trading posts (of which there are almost NONE....those who scream the most in chit chat seem to not have a thing to say about trading).
    Had Mondo or MSFE ever posted anything about trading? Do they even trade? (yeah, I should check this with the search function, but I wouldn't be interested in what they had to say about trading anyway).

And aside from the "debates", the occasional brilliant flashes of humor help pass the time nicely.

Peace,
    :)Rs7.7

#64     Apr 11, 2003
  5. Here's a simple solution.

Get rid of the # of post information... Credibility comes from the quality of the post, not how long you've been here... or how many posts you've made...

Get rid of Chit-Chat...

Thread starter gets to moderate the thread. Most of the non-related posts start as a legitimate thread then suddenly becomes a ego to ego thread... Thread starter should be able to kill the thread or the post.

Less moderation from moderator. Thread starter has an intention of some topic. Moderator might not understand it.

One handle per ISP address... not E-mail... I wouldn't mind my brother posting under my name...

I think it won't happen... there's supposed to be 16,000+ members but it'll become something like 2,000? 3,000?

#65     Apr 13, 2003
  6. I personally have grown to like ET. I find myself drawn to the characters here. There are a lot of nice people here.

I try to keep my attitude humble and to use this place to learn. I know someday I will get blasted and will feel real bad. But if I keep the newbie attitude of learning perhaps I will overcome that day I get blasted. I constantly find myself wondering how people will respond to a post of mine....so I try to stick to business and post what I know...and if I can help someone newer than I...I will.

I consider myself a newbie even though I have been trading right from the start of the infancy of the online trading revolution. I remember when I was 18 years old (44 now) when
    I opened up a Merrill Lynch account which was called sharebuilder and you could purchase fractional shares of stock. This was even before online trading platforms came out into the mainstream.

I have learned a lot from all the regulars here....and have had some laughs (tears in my eyes I have laughed so hard).

Every once in a while we get a post here...that obviously is market wizard quality.....some recognize this and others do not...but this is the beauty of Elite Trader.

As far as the future....please all you pro's out there....keep on posting to elite trader.....after all you need a place to congregate and discuss issues with one another. Us newbies can read a listen with interest, with the hopes of getting better in trading and stepping up a level.

Newbies out there.....please understand that you are hobnobbing with some great traders....don't waste their time ok? If you have a comment go ahead....keep your idle talk to the chit chat thread. Listen.......learn ......contribute......share.....

Ok I'll shut up

Michael B.

#66     Apr 13, 2003
  7. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

Personally, I think Chit Chat is fine as long as it stays in Chit Chat!
    I just get upset when people are trying to discuss something serious to do with trading and all these jackasses pile on into their threads and drag it off topic and into the mire of their warped minds.

#67     Apr 13, 2003
  8. just found out I am a memory ...

#68     Apr 13, 2003
  9. Pabst

Pabst

But at least a good memory..............:)

#69     Apr 13, 2003
  10. That probably depends on who you ask ...

#70     Apr 13, 2003