The Effects of Trading Psychology Outside of Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by PinkBunny, Sep 16, 2006.

1. "To be a pro you must be arrogant, rude and egotistical."

You must demand respect when you are in front of people. This doesnt mean being outright rude, but using a firm confident voice when you speak, appearing at all times in a serious manner, talking fast-sharp and possessing an outwardly driven energy.

The business card, money and suit does not make you. Its the way you address people, its the way you appear both in body and spirit.

You can still say please and thank you. Say hello and goodbye. Just do everything in a firm confident manner that eminates an energy. Let people know that you mean business and not playing games.

#11     Oct 9, 2006
  2. zdreg

zdreg

you have found the right forum. alot of self made men on ET.

#12     Oct 9, 2006
  3. zdreg

zdreg

did the above result from selfdiscovery?
    what was the catalyst?

#13     Oct 9, 2006
  4. AUGGIE

AUGGIE

I agree, there is a difference between being aggressive and being assertive. There is no excuse for rudeness. Being rude is one sure way to convince others of your unprofessionalism.

#14     Oct 9, 2006
  5. This is something that I have known ever since I was very young. I actually learned this attitude by watching a NJ State Trooper. You can take the uniform, gun and badge from a NJ State Trooper and he will still command respect when he walks into the room.

In the same way, your attitude must command respect in the business world. When John Mack walks into the room, he always has a serious demeanor, a driven energy and just seems to command respect. Whether he walks around in his underwear or a nice suit, its his attitude that makes people listen. He doesnt need to give out his business card, because he is unforgettable.

If you need a business card to remember someone, then they probably were not that memorable. . .

#15     Oct 9, 2006
  6. hcour

hcour Guest

I think you might find yourself developing some of these same characteristics that you speak of no matter what business venture you attempt. I went thru the same thing 25 yrs ago when I went from flipping burgers "for the man" in a fast-food shop to managing my own restaurant operated w/my own money. You grow up fast. You have to take responsibility for yourself, for your own actions, your failures are yours and yours alone, be they from lack of knowledge or lack of commitment. You learn what hard work really is, it's far easier to work for someone else than to work for yourself. As a waiter I had a steady schedule 40 hrs a wk and made a decent living and when I left the job for the day I forgot about it, it didn't exist; as the owner of my own restaurant I worked from open till close 6 days a wk, made much less money, and never left it behind in my mind, no matter where I was or what I was doing. But eventually it paid off.

Owning your own business you have to grow up. Trading is a business. I'm sure many of those qualities that you speak of indeed carry over into our everyday lives, just as in any worthwhile endeavor, and ultimately determine those who fail or succeed both personally and professionally.

H

#16     Oct 9, 2006