The Edge defined

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by tireg, Aug 3, 2006.

1. romik

romik

Steve, I am not going to step to the level of your nastiness to most on ET, that's your style, but will tell you why I got pissed at you, you offered something that you don't use anymore, it's like throwing a dog a bone, I don't welcome that.

I've been doing business for quite a while to understand that an edge in its simplistic form is an ability to prevail, you can, others have and failed, put a math formula on any probability, but would that make your edge more risk free - maybe.

BTW ES Journal is not my journal, I post there freely and do not disclose my daily activity, so how can you make out whether I even have an edge, it's impossible to tell, so nothing to comment upon. I know how B1S2 does it and it's based on many years of experience and I BELIEVE it to be true, hence the interest in longer TF divergences, etc.

Sorry I have no more time at the mo to elaborate, just a summary. Excuse possible typos.

#21     Aug 7, 2006
  2. Hi InCom,

I commend your scientific appraoch very much.

Looks like Gallacher did a very similar experiment in "The Options Edge".

:)

#22     Aug 7, 2006
  3. Great post. But most of what we have is OHLC data..? Do you recommend doing strategies not based on price, but on fundamentals - as you did with fund inflows/outflows?

If so, then you are saying there are no edges in technical analysis (as all indicators come from OHLC and V).

#23     Aug 7, 2006
  4. inCom

inCom

:)

#24     Aug 7, 2006
  5. If you had some balls, you would just say "hey you're right"

but you don't

You dont have time to elaborate. Elaborate what?

What I posted was not at all "nasty" it was however uncomfortable for you because it is true.

Your damn right I don't post what took me years to learn. Also I don't post my bank account numbers and I don't ask people to come and take my automobile or live in my house. Like any hardworking person I draw a line where I think I have to. Now here comes the nasty part (cover your eyes)

IF you want me to GIVE you the product of my hard work, you have a long wait ahead of you for sure. My suggestion is read the posts, think for a moment, and get up off your ass. Do the work and get there yourself.

You're welcome
    Steve

#25     Aug 7, 2006
  6. romik

romik

Steve, you are right

#26     Aug 7, 2006
  7. I can see that you'll do whatever it takes to prove me wrong :p

#27     Aug 7, 2006
  8. romik

romik

Steve, I am a hard working guy, I ran a very popular restaurant for many years, that is not an easy task. I had an edge, because I sustained profitability year after year, when some other new venture opened and closed shop after 1-2 years of operations. A huge chunk that benefited staying profitable was intuition based on top of all the previously gained experience. Now there were times when no matter what I did, there simply weren't enough "bums on seats" - that was an inevitable temporary scenario, no risk calculation could prevent that from happening.

I don't really know what is the point of all the above, you are mistaken in your evaluation of me. An edge to me is a very personal set of rules, which for sure will be different to yours and some other guy, but essentially an edge is the ability to make more than lose, some would want it coded and some do not need to.

#28     Aug 7, 2006
  9. Obviously you have had a very Independent and Logical thinking in this challenging trading field, particularly when learning the teaching and knowledge that are Freely available on the Net from some Truly experienced traders you Know well. :)

#29     Aug 7, 2006
  10. tireg

tireg

Tongue in cheek or not, I've found Acrary's threads most helpful in my own progress. While at first I did not completely appreciate or understand the concepts he wrote about, like many are demonstrating in their posts here, over time and experience and necessity these concepts have been made clear to me. I commend his choice of open sharing and genuine help to others instead of selecting the path of secrecy and merely wished to make my own contribution along those lines.

#30     Aug 7, 2006