The dynamics of thought when becoming a trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by alex.samant, Oct 11, 2007.

1. vectors101

vectors101 Guest

If somebody i recruit to the stock markets becomes addicted and starts playing double or nothing,,, i wish i'd never tell them to open a trading account.

quiting gambling addiction is just as hard as cocaine addiction...i ain't joking. they only quit tell they are broke.

that is one thing your broker or any wall street would want to talk about including pros... i mean take a year of trading 8 hours a day to make 200% working like a dog when I can do 2 trades in a few days and make 500%.

making easy money is the reason come to wall street,,,not 'working' or trading for a living.

#11     Oct 12, 2007
  2. Jesus people, easy

I myself went through all the channels and motions of learning how to trade, but since I have been helping traders it has been a lot of fun, traders are good people we all have the same interest in what we do and as far as letting your so called secrets out I not really sure there are any new secrets in trading 60 million of us every day go into the markets 70%-90% loose and that has been for 100 years so with all the people in the market you can be sure even if you gave the holy grail away, traders will still make the same mistakes, the holy grail is YOU.

Know yourself, know your trade

Understand how the markets work and you will do fine
    just find 1 or 2 trade setups you like to use master it and repeat
    every day, once trading becomes boring you have made it

I am doing short webinars on youtube to help traders understand markets, with 60 million traders I dont think
    any one trade setup will hurt the system

Take care,

Joe

#12     Oct 12, 2007
  3. joeb: i appreciate the input, but please do not post any more links on this thread, and this is valid for anybody. Please do not advertise your services here.

#14     Oct 12, 2007
  4. No problem,

it's free so I did not think would be issue

But your comment well taken

#15     Oct 12, 2007
  5. thank you :)

#16     Oct 12, 2007
  6. Aisone

Aisone

I'm in the same boat.

When I first started exploring daytrading, I learned something while exploring price data that I never heard discussed before, and have used that (and one other thing that I've learned since) to instantly start making a living.

I'm paranoid to discuss these things and have been accused of being selfish and a loner for it (which I don't dispute.)

But over time its become more difficult to compete for these trade opportunities because the speed of the electronic markets give me such a smaller window to execute the transactions, and as a result I know I'm much less alone in being able to measure these opportunties.

This brings me to my dilemma. To take my trading to the next level I need to quantify these potential opportunities much more mathematically than I am capable of. I also need help automating my trade executions with better quantified criteria because I can only physically review one instrument at a time before sending in an order(s).

Like I said though, I'm too paranoid to share with someone, particularly since once a math wiz who understand trading knows it, they won't need me, and also the 'secrets' might perhaps become far more explored by others than they are now.

I soon start my 10th year of doing this for a living and really have to reevaluate my secrecy mode soon. I'm sort of amazed (and lucky of course) it has lasted this long, but I know the window is getting much tighter and I have to consider taking on a partner or two if I'm going to really get ahead in this game, muchless stay in it.

#17     Oct 12, 2007
  7. I always talk about the concepts, thinking and philosophy behind my trades, and I've shared extensive information in general on different threads.

What does it get me?

Other traders arguing with me as to the validity of what I am proposing (after which I am more often than not proven right in the marketplace) or someone sending me a PM asking me for the exact details of my system.

Right :p

Give me a freak'in break.

JJ

#18     Oct 13, 2007
  8. Jimmy,

You might find there is much to be learnt in asking yourself the question: "just why does everyone argue with me?" :)

#19     Oct 13, 2007
  9. No. Jimmy is spot on. This happens to anybody trying to share information.

Kiwi: No disrespect, but it's pretty hard to embrace someone's trading concepts on the spot, yet most of the people are trigger happy and start arguing on the spot without even trying to see if the concepts presented are valid or not. It's because their beliefs are challenged. And also the sense of security that's a part of us. Belief is a beautiful armor, you know...

#20     Oct 13, 2007