The dumb republican does it again...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann, following Rush Limbaugh's cue, suggested on Tuesday that President Obama was to blame for the swine flu crisis. She went even farther than the talk show host, implying that swine flu epidemics are a Democratic phenomenon that dates back to President Carter.

"I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence."

Unfortunately, Bachmann's facts are a little off. As Glenn Thrush notes, Republican President Gerald Ford, not Carter, led the country during the last outbreak of the virus.

http://www.minnpost.com/minnclips/2...ight_know_the_cause_of_the_swine_flu_outbreak

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFDyxO4FLZQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFDyxO4FLZQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Bachmann gets the swine flu... wrong

By Eric Black | Published Tue, Apr 28 2009 3:25 pm

I'm not sure which Michele Bachmann holds in greater contempt; the "Democrat Party," as she always calls it (you're off by an "ic" ma'am), or the facts when they are inconvenient to her beliefs. But, happily, she doesn't have to choose when she can get the facts wrong while attacking that other party, the whatstheirnames.

So she went for the daily double and nailed it yesterday on PajamasTV. It's a long interview, and Rep. Bachmann was in fine form, defending freedom everywhichway. But she got a coupla facts wrong and, by sheer coincidence, both created false negative inferences against Dems.

The first one, with a hat tip to City Pages, was an assertion that swine flu always breaks out under Democrat(ic) presidents. She said, mighty generously, that she wasn't blaming Pres. Obama for the current outbreak (but then why is she bringing it up?), but she couldn't help but notice the coincidence that the previous outbreak occurred under Democrat(ic) Jimmy Carter. Understand please, she's absolutely not trying to associate swine flu outbreaks with Democrats, just noticing the irony. Problem, of course, was that the 1970s swine flu scare started in 1976 under Republic(an) Pres. Gerald Ford. (Not that he caused it, mindya, just noting.)

The second and more important made-up fact was Bachmann's assertion that the likely use of the reconciliation process by the Dems to push through a health care bill without facing a potential filibuster would be "unprecedented." Not at all.

There is something wrong with using procedural maneuvers (reconciliation) to get around other procedural maneuvers (filibusters) and I'd be happy to see the process simplified and streamlined. But there's nothing "unprecedented" here. As the Washington Monthly put it, reconciliation is:

"a procedure used many times in recent years, usually by Republicans. Reconciliation was used to pass welfare reform; it was used to pass Bush's tax cut plans; and more recently, GOP lawmakers even wanted to use reconciliation to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge."

That last reference to ANWR seems a cheap shot, since apparently it wasn't used. But the whole Repub tantrum over the possible use of reconciliation to avoid filibusters certainly reeks of how-dare-you-do-to-us-what-we-previously-did-to-you.

3. JDL

JDL

the republicans are done, put a fork in them :p

4. Doesn't really matter. America is done, too.

5. Nice to see you back again Gnome.
    So much for leaving ET. :D

6. This chick is out there...very much so.

I nailed it with the 'Palin is a Dumb Bitch' thread the day she was nominated (I did not post threads day after day about her after that - maybe once a week at most, even if that).

Bachmann is a sterling example of the demise of the GOP as was Palin.

7. Then it is up to ya'll, so what the hell are you going to do about it to fix this mess.