The disadvantage of the retail trader

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by B.Willis, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Is anyone taling about the advantages of the retail trader over the institutions? You should.

I'll start with one: trade size. Whenever you retail traders need to divide your size into clips and devise strategies of scaling in and out based on your size that doesn't fit the market .. then let me know ...

#11     Aug 27, 2007
  2. You'll have to learn how to program sooner or later.

#12     Aug 27, 2007
  3. B.Willis

B.Willis

Good point Alex.

#13     Aug 27, 2007
  4. A retail trader has thousands of very viable methods to make money in the markets with the currently available technology, this is not the problem. 97% of the time, inadequate psychological preparation and development are the direct cause of traders failing.

Most all retail traders have spent a ton of money on indicators, charting, and platforms, but what have they done to prepare their mind....see the problem now?

#14     Aug 27, 2007
  5. B.Willis

B.Willis

Yes, but programming the tools itself is something beyond my possibilites.
    Traders want to be mainly traders, but that´s a topic for another thread.

#15     Aug 27, 2007
  6. B.Willis

B.Willis

Also a good point where I agree, but maybe the tons of indicators, charting and platforms could be better. That´s the reason for this thread.

#16     Aug 27, 2007
  7. No matter what, software could ALWAYS be better.

Why even worry about this?

You can still make a ton of money with existing platforms.

It is just a convenient excuse.

#17     Aug 27, 2007
  8. Yes I agree, but those tools also get better from YOUR influence as you operate from a proper psychological realm. When you have a thoroughly developed plan executed with psychology of intent, then you will greatly minimize the time spent developing a profitable method (or learning one that is already profitable for others).

What you are focusing on everyday as a trader is in the end what you are going to get. So if you focus on the proper areas of your trading, with efficient and expanded psychological capabilities, all aspects of your trading will shift towards making you profitable.

"It is not the sword, it is the MAN holding the sword"

#18     Aug 27, 2007
  9. MrPaul

MrPaul

I'm suprised no one has mentioned that fact that unless one is proficient in reading a market the best execution platform on the planet is useless.

retail or otherwise, if you cannot read a market correctly you will be at a net loss over the long term.

Now as far as platforms are concerned as long as one can hit the bid/ask and have an order sent in a timely fashion thats all you really need.

The bottom line is that a PROFICIENT independent trader is actually at a major advantage over many institutions...

#19     Aug 27, 2007
  10. Bob111

Bob111

sounds like all you want to do is just press buy and sell buttons and that's about it.
    imo-not going to work, specially in today's markets.

#20     Aug 27, 2007