The DESTRUCTION of trading volume.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Grandluxe, Apr 11, 2011.

1. AK100

AK100

One of the main reasons for the lack of volume is there's never any natural retracements. All it is is grind higher with a small explosion every now and then, hardly a great market to allocate speculative capital.

So yet again we see short term policies working at the expense of long term destruction.

I used to trade stock indexes heavily, hardly look at them now - more natural markets available elsewhere.

PS. Bet the bonuses are still good if you're senior management at NYSE/NASDAQ etc.

#21     Apr 11, 2011
  2. AK100

AK100

Grand - I'd check B's previous posts if I were you. He's a certified nutter.

For example he's started a campaign to raise $200 trillion. It's only 15 times the total US GDP :)

#22     Apr 11, 2011
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

Grandlux, there's a good book (imo) called volume and open interest. If you can find a copy, I'd recommend it.

Btw, put gabfly on ignore. The only time I can see his garbage posts are when someone quotes him. He's an Odumba apologist, and an ignorant person.

#23     Apr 11, 2011
  4. This is a very positive development. Over-traded markets are unhealthy markets, the less room there is for daytraders and scalpers, the healthier the market.

#24     Apr 11, 2011
  5. moarla

moarla

most trades are done in grey market. so i think the volume is not a mesure anymore

#25     Apr 11, 2011
  6. AK100

AK100

No because scalpers and day traders provide 2 way trade and liquidity. So it's far better to have 10,000 traders trading 100 shares per day than 10 traders doing 10,000 shares. Same volume but the liquidity picture is very different.

Liquidity is not about volume, it's about market participants, and right now more and more participants are taking their capital to trade elsewhere.

#26     Apr 11, 2011
  7. No, they don't. All the small time scalpers and daytraders added together don't amount to a mouse fart in the market.

HFTs (arguably) provide liquidity, but indie daytraders and scalpers are just fleas piggybacking a free ride on an elephant. The less room there is for them in the market, the more efficient and healthier the market.

#27     Apr 11, 2011
  8. Just wait until May 9th and you'll really start to see trading volume plummet.

#28     Apr 15, 2011
  9. Beg to differ, HFT's provide the "appearance" of liquidity, while the Fed provides the actual liquidity.

#29     Apr 15, 2011
  10. HFT rebate garbage is most of the volume now. Very little actual trading, and even what's left of that is rapidly declining.

After Citibank reverse splits, volume will plummet again.

Hoping for another catastrophic computer driven event to happen. Something that hopefully will put an end to HFT frontrunning, predatory algo's, co-located servers, etc, etc, etc.

#30     Apr 16, 2011