The Death of the Blackberry

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Port1385, Jun 26, 2008.

1. I bought a blackberry curve for personal use. I don't have it alert me every time an email comes in. I check a couple times a day when I am on the train or in line somewhere. Time saver and keeps me in touch.

There is a great feature on all BBs called the power switch. One button and you can be unreachable. Great feature.

#51     Jul 10, 2008
  2. aresky

aresky

Sept. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Research In Motion Ltd. missed analysts' estimates with its second-quarter profit and third- quarter forecast after boosting marketing to introduce phones and ward off Apple Inc.'s iPhone. The shares fell 14 percent.

Third-quarter profit will be 89 cents to 97 cents a share on sales of as much as $3.1 billion, Research In Motion said today in a statement. Analysts had predicted 99 cents in profit on average and revenue of $2.96 billion, according to a Bloomberg survey of analysts.

Research In Motion is rolling out four new phones as it faces new competition from models such as Apple's updated iPhone 3G. Sales and marketing expenses almost doubled to $379.6 million. The company had to delay the U.S. release of the BlackBerry Bold, a faster version of the BlackBerry e-mail phone, until October, which also may have cut into purchases.

``The cost of selling and launching all these platforms is much higher than what people thought,'' Pablo Perez-Fernandez, an analyst with Global Crown Capital in San Francisco, said in an interview. He recommends buying the shares, which he doesn't own.

Second-quarter net income rose 72 percent to $495.5 million, or 86 cents a share, from $287.7 million, or 50 cents, a year earlier, the company said. Analysts predicted a profit of 87 cents on average, according to the Bloomberg survey. Revenue climbed 88 percent to $2.58 billion, compared with the average projection of $2.59 billion from analysts.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aD_CaU3dfPY8&refer=home

#52     Sep 25, 2008
  3. My price target for RIMM is 10 bucks. Thats all this thing is worth. Blackberries are a fad like CROX. I was short when I made this post and I'm still short. 10 bucks is what this is worth, if that. I will enjoy seeing this thing dump further just like CROX.

RIMM is the next Wang labs.

#53     Oct 6, 2008
  4. Well I have the holy grail solution to this problem that I have been using for some time. When I am with my family spending quality time I either shut off the Blackberry or put it on silent mode so I am not disturbed. No one is putting gun to your head making you answer it.

#54     Oct 6, 2008
  5. wrong

#55     Oct 6, 2008