The Daytrader Stigma

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Corso482, Oct 21, 2002.

1. ayn rand rules !

best,

surf:)

#51     Oct 23, 2002
  2. well i'm with you there, but i don't think we can deny that jealousy is an observable phenomenon... which is what was basically what was being said...

#52     Oct 23, 2002
  3. gordo

gordo

Another cheers for Ayn Rand.

#53     Oct 23, 2002

4. There are two perspectives from which a trader can position themselves. The “Shorter Perspective” is seeing the market as it relates to oneself. The “Longer Perspective” is seeing the market as it relates to itself.

The degree by which a trader can detach them self from their opinion and the level of conviction they hold of that opinion, is as close or as far the trader is from finding cognitive analysis beyond the fundamental or technical variety.

The real conflict in having “Differing Opinions” stems from the inability to accept the opinions of others, not from the apparent efforts required to defend yours.

The trader who chooses not accept the “Consensus Of Perception”, (the market’s opinion), will forever struggle with the injustices done by perhaps the greatest pardonable looter of both time and money one shall ever meet.

#54     Oct 23, 2002
  5. Other peoples uneducated opinion about daytrading has no impact on my mental state when i trade (even when losing).

because i never seek peoples approval when i do something.

because of an unshakeable belief in the validity of my trading strategy.

also because i find price action so interesting that i forget everything else.

#55     Oct 23, 2002
  6. xianokie

xianokie

Saying that trading is “all about psychology” is like saying it’s all about Technical Analysis. Trading is not all about one particular thing. There are a s-load of guys out there who are wizards at TA that never trade. Why? Cause they suck as traders. Trading is more about getting up in the morning, perseverance, tenacity and learning that it is about psychology.
    The fact is you will probably fail as a trader. When I say trader I mean someone who can make a living at this and a good living. That is a small percentage. So that fact is everyone telling you to not do this is correct. Your friends are correct, your neighbors are correct and all the articles that have been written are correct. You will in all probability fail at trading and lose all of your money.
    Far too many people in here try and sell the “pie in the shy” trading dream. The dream will be a nightmare for most. Especially if they need the money they are losing.
    So how do we deal with the fat that we are entering a profession that offers a low level of success? You know that before going in and accept that. You also decide what your level of pain is. When you reach that level you either get out or you raise your level.
    I have started several businesses and I can tell you the pains most will have to endure to succeed are tremendous. The last business I started I went for an entire year with no pay. Don’t feel sorry for me. Ray Krock the founder of McDonalds went 10 years with no pay. I went into debt at a level that would make most people vomit. I almost gave up at one point. Three weeks after I almost quit is when my business turned around. It as easily could have failed and if it would have, then I would be in debt up to my eyeballs and working on a way to pay it off. The point here is you must decide this is what you want to do and do it. But you also need to decide when you have had enough and move on.
    Failing is not the worst thing that can happen. We have a tendency to view failure as the end of the line. When in fact it can be a beginning for many. A good book to read about dealing with failure and making the most of it is: Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes by John C. Maxwell.
    The truth is you will in mostly likelihood fail at trading. But that does not mean you wont gain a tremendous amount of benefit from the experience. Just make sure your willing to lose thousands for the lesson.

#56     Oct 23, 2002
  7. cpo

cpo Guest

Thanks, Rogue. Now it's clear-cut. :)

From a functional level, it's also required not to be concerned about what the "Consensus of Perception" is like. It's required to be trading, instead. We put the trade on, then the market will tell us its opinion about it.

I mean, there are two experiences: the experience of trading and the experience of no trading. "Trade or not to trade", that's the perpetual choice.

cpo

#57     Oct 23, 2002
  8. If they want to know more,usually mention it's computer related,home office.:cool:

Swing trading some helps.

When my equity trend is flat or downtrend;
    Trade smaller,
    Trade less.
    Read more.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Some one asked William o' Neill [IBD] if he was a daytrader?????
    He is an honest grandad,so he wouldn't answer:cool:

Then gave her a cryptic sort of answer about a weekly chart.

#58     Oct 24, 2002
  9. prox

prox

Tell them it's better than being a Mime.

#59     Oct 24, 2002
  10. cpo

cpo Guest

Dark:

I think that you came out with that whole new meaning yourself.

I actually though it had to do more with something like this:

The trader is the one who is able to perceive other's introspection. :)

cpo

#60     Oct 25, 2002