The Daytrader Stigma

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Corso482, Oct 21, 2002.

1. gordo

gordo

daniel_m;

That sounds like a good strategy, a basically how I do it. It often seems better to limit info to lay folks.

#41     Oct 23, 2002
  2. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

One of my biggest regrets in life is having dropped out of college when I started making money in the market. I just stopped showing up if there was much going on. World Affairs test today, screw that BAMM is on the move baby! Now that I have been out of school for 5 years and have a hundred other things going on, going back to school is prooving to be a real pain in the ass. If I could do it over again, I would have finished school though, the market is always there.

Brandon

#42     Oct 23, 2002

3. "The trader's esoteric reality is the perception of other's introspection"

I think he's saying that when someone criticizes you as a trader (and/or idolizes you as a trader), it is because they are dealing with jealousy or fear or weakness in their own lives, and to see or hear of maverick success in a tough endeavor usually highlights that feeling of personal inadequacy, thus leading to a response of either base subservience or lashing out, depending on the person's emotional defense strategy.

#43     Oct 23, 2002
  4. dark is 100 % right. ifr you suceed in something unusual like trading, most people will HATE you secretly. this is no joke. jealousy reigns supreme in many people.

best,

surf

#44     Oct 23, 2002
  5. gordo

gordo

dark:

Do you do any writing? You appear to be well spoken.

Re: Jealousy

Yeah, just watch a person's body language. It speaks volumes, and in some folks you can almost read the disdain for ones accomplishments. Sincerity, a rare quality.

Gordo

#45     Oct 23, 2002
  6. This does make some sense, but I have to ask: If this is the case, why aren't brain surgeons and rocket scientists hated by the masses?

#46     Oct 23, 2002
  7. "appears"? i think we can state with all confidence that dark is most certainly well spoken, articulate and eloquent - although, imo, often wrong (he and i disagree on quite a bit it seems). still, i could certainly do with taking a leaf out of his book when it comes to maintaining dignity in the face of some admittedly crass barbs (mine)...

#47     Oct 23, 2002
  8. it's more a case when there's a personal relationship involved..when you actually know the person or people..

imo

#48     Oct 23, 2002
  9. these people are not hated by the masses since most understand the amount of work required to become one. unfortunately, trading is often perceived as "easy" by those who dont know therefore you are "lucky" if you are succesful hence the jealousy.

best,

surf

#49     Oct 23, 2002
  10. With my Ayn Randist beliefs, I find it difficult to comprehend the mindset of someone who would hate someone just because he has a sucessful career. I'll leave that kind of thinking to the liberals.

#50     Oct 23, 2002