The day to day psychology of a trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by smallStops, Feb 19, 2015.

1. I think Bouddhists coaches have no idea of the value of their retreats.
    If Bouddhist monks could read my mind when I see one of them in a Western country : I am so
    grateful. They don't even know how much their knowledge/teaching has benefitted myself.

Now, I am reflecting of a way to help "struggling" traders, financially AND psychologically( spiritually). Might least criteria - based on my beliefs - such as minimum of 10 years of full-time trading experience. Need to think on the psychology/spirituality requirements, as without the psychology/spirituality right that's just a high speed car just waiting to crash into a wall.

#581     Aug 14, 2017
  2. So I am still gathering the requirements for this initiative.
    In stead of 10 years full-time, effectively 10 000 screen time is more just for struggling traders.
    After all, if one has been clocking 10 000 hours overs 5 years, then the trader should quzlify.

Continuing to get the list of requirements.

#582     Aug 16, 2017
  3. 10 000 hours screen time.

* They can choose whatever trading strategy/approach they want, as long as they can show at least one winning trade traded themselves.
    Then get the trading strategy/system traded by a good trader to make sure that the method works fine.

That will get out the "technicals" aspects.

Money management : obviously. may be 10% max of total capital drawdwon.
    Now floating downdrawn is something to think about.

Most important : psychology/"spirituality".
    There I am sure, many will not take the deal : not sure people will be ready to do
    what it takes to sort their psychology. Still drawing the list.

#583     Aug 16, 2017
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Some of us "get it", man.

#584     Aug 16, 2017
    smallStops likes this.
  5. Overnight : THANK YOU :D :D :D

I did not know that you finally all went to give it a try.

So I was not preaching in the desert for nothing.

May I ask : do you want to become trader, or even learn to trade ?
    100% Finance provided ( no money down ). :) :) :)
    The financial market has room for everyone to be profitable -
    it's a trillion $ markets.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    #585     Aug 18, 2017
  6. Every trader has their own way to think and trade, no one is said to be the most knowledgeable person, thus we need to have a constant practice to become successful in Forex Trading, that is the only way to achieve success in it.

#586     Aug 18, 2017
  7. CyberWarrior : exactly. Trading is one of the rare fields that each person can tailor to its own personality. :) :) :).

#587     Aug 21, 2017
  8. Okay. So some people have tried the dhamma.org , and basically had great difficulties in doing the full 10 days, in blunt term "they quitted before the end", and developped "aversion" for this "dhamma.org".

From my limited point of view, it MIGHT mean that the day you decided to quit, you actually came across one of your real psychological "issues", and "reacted" to whatever is hiding behind
    these psychological "issues". This is why, it is very important to really follow exactly the rule of this retreat - aka not reacting, just observing, not moving, not communicating. These rules were set after observing thousand of people. So these rules are not just "capricious" decisions : they have real reasons of being.

Now what?
    First you could take a pen and paper, and try to remember exactly at what moment the "issue", the thing that got you to give up started. It did not start the first minute you arrived at the retreat. The psychological "issue" started to show up a bit later on, may be after 5 hours of meditation. The retreat is intensive for a purpose : to ensure that your psychological "issues" come up.
    Psychological "issues" start with things you do not like, things you have aversion to, things that create aversions in you, things that make you incomfortable. You have to look behind these "incomforts" to find out what is really beneath this incomfort. Quitting did not help you discover what it was all about. Not following the retreat rules for sure, ruined your chances of finding out what were these issues.

In the future ?
    May be when you have honestly listed the "issues", and moments/how these showed up, may be you could do some private sessions with some coaches (Katie Byron' retreats are good if one needs to go over uncomfortable thoughts for instance).

Then obviously, I am sorry to break the news to you, you'll have to go back to a retreat to this "dhamma.org". The truth is : the "dhamma.org" did get you to look deep into you. In the retreat, you had nowhere to run : you could not hide behind being "busy", as all is done for you to that you have ample time to just seat on the cushion ( funny how a cushion can become so threatening :D:D:D). You could not hide behind "I can't remember", because each time, this "issue" was coming up non stop. You could not "not look at the issue", because each time, the "issue" was showing up its head bit by bit, and a bit more.
    What you had aversion to, was looking to your own psychological "issues".

Harder :
    "all the stuff in {you}, come up gradually"

So take your courage : book yourself back to this "dhamma.org" retreat.
    It is just 10 days. :):):)

#588     Aug 21, 2017
  9. *** True that easier said than done. I do understand that the retreat was a real torture, and quitting was the only option.
    Again, I do believe that for your own benefits, you will be better off, going again to one 10 day retreat.
    May be not next month, may be in 1 year time after you have "digested" what brought these uncomforts.
    Again, there are many ways to do that :

- Katie Byron is good. Though it is really in the analysis of the thoughts patterns, if you can go over all the thoughts that got you to quit, this will be a step forward to discovering the real "issue".

- Yoga: just the physical exercices and the breathing. Stay clear of the "mantras" ans all the religious aspects ( hindouism) linked to yoga. At one hour session daily ( one hour paid class, and 6 days daily solo practice) will definitively help. The key is to keep note of what happens during the sessions. May be there will be one session where you feel you are having this same type of "aversion", "fear" as in the retreat.

- Qigong : actually very good as well. Get an excellent teacher and explain what happened at the retreat. They have approaches / exercices designed to "clarify" the psychological "issues" in non-aversion generating ways.

I'd say, one year doing all 3 above once a week, then you should be able to do the dhamma.org without having fears.

The negative experience just mean that your "issues" came up extremely quickly and in a very intense way because , may be, you did not follow the rule :
    - observe the body, and just staying focussed on it
    - not reacting to any thought : just watching these
    - observing any feeling, etc
    Observing, watching : it was not about avoiding these, putting a label on these ( even aversion mean you put a label on it, instead of just watching it appear and disappear).

I simply do encourage you, to use this experience, to "purify" yourself of whatever created the existence of fear/disgust/pain/aversion in you ( Katie Byron, Qigong, Yoga "westernized"). Then do give it again a good try.
    It is only by following the rules, and doing the 10 days one understand the issues.

With Meta.

#589     Aug 21, 2017

10. Thanks for sharing such a nice information in here. It would help the traders quite a lot. Keep sharing such information in here.

#590     Aug 22, 2017