The day to day psychology of a trader

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by smallStops, Feb 19, 2015.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That would be interesting. But I don't know of any. Which doesn't mean much since I don't follow psychology threads. I don't recall what it was that brought this one to my attention. But given my stalker, it would have been better not to post here at all.

Nonetheless, your post about self-sabotage is important.

#101     Feb 27, 2015

2. Yes, he claims a PhD in psychology--- those with that degree are generally referred to as counselors--- surf

#102     Feb 27, 2015
  3. cornix

cornix

Aha, so still colleague. :)

#103     Feb 27, 2015
  4. cornix

cornix

Thank you very much.

#104     Feb 27, 2015
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

As you know, there are many different types of psychologist other than behavior pathologists. And many of them are not in the least qualified to be "counselors". And counselors are not necessarily psychologists. Diplomats and attorneys are also called "counselors" by some.

I know you know all this, but apparently there's some confusion by others on the matter .

#105     Feb 27, 2015

6. Is DB really Spock? WTF? Anything is possible. RIP!'

#106     Feb 27, 2015
  7. cornix

cornix

Very true. AFAIK in the US there is a separate counseling license in addition to the diploma or PhD degree.

#107     Feb 28, 2015
  8. Oye Oye Oye!!!

As I am this week-end writing the business plan for this "psy" coaching business,
    it occured to me, that actually why go it alone, and why not team up with
    the two experts here? :D:D:D:D:D:D

We three, we could bring psy coaching to a whole new level :):):)
    Not just the credentials ( graduate& PhD in psychology AND counseling accreditations ),
    but also real experience of how psy coaching can solves the deepest issues ( my personal
    experience), we three we cover many languages as well, and of course business
    experiences as well. I obviously have my list of conditions for teaming up, and you are
    of course invited to draw up your own list.

#108     Feb 28, 2015
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Sorry to disappoint, but my Master's isn't in psychology and I'm not a certified counselor. But beyond that, I've found psychological counseling to be largely a waste of time when it comes to trading. I've rarely encountered a struggling/failing trader who had a trading plan. The focus, therefore, is not to resolve "emotional issues" per se but to put together a plan. If the plan is thoroughly tested and consistently profitable, the emotional issues evaporate, at least if the trader has the discipline to follow it, but this as well comes in time.

If one is trying to prove to his father that he's not such a loser after all or if one is trying to compensate for those years in which the bullies on the bus took his lunch money every day or if one has an addictive personality of one sort or another, then therapy is called for. But trading isn't therapy. Putting the cart before the horse just postpones the inevitable reckoning.

You may succeed where others have failed. But remember that Van Tharp was a complete washout as a trader.

#109     Feb 28, 2015
    deaddog likes this.
  10. not in psychology, not a certified counselor either: Ha :eek::eek::eek:
    I was looking for these papers as a way to create a difference. :wtf:ops::wtf:ops::wtf:ops:

Now about the benefits of "psy" for traders

#110     Feb 28, 2015