The Dark Side of Suppressing Emotions While Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by AnonymousT2011, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Redneck

Redneck

And how is that not playing the victim

Learn to forgive yourself for Christ sakes..

and I pose this to you again......

If you can blow off a loss and move on...

Then why can't you put trading in its proper place..., and enjoy the rest of your life - when not trading

Letting go..., is letting go - No??

RN

#31     Feb 20, 2011
  2. Redneck

Redneck

Millionaire

It was a bitter pill for me to swallow as well…

It took considerable work to get to where I could forgive myself for some of the things I’ve done in my life – and then let them go

I had to set them free so they no longer encumbered me

fwiw – some things I had to forgive myself for involved folks long dead…. I wrote them each a letter and filed it…

I have those letters to this day

RN

#32     Feb 20, 2011
  3. TD80

TD80

I see you are a UCI alumnus. It is a good (if underrated) school. I live very close by.

Gotta love Cha for Tea, the best bubble tea due to very strict quality control (they taste EVERY DRINK before handing it over to make sure it is right). Of course the unintended consequences of this policy include the staff being cracked out on caffeine the whole time.

At any rate, I'm not so sure it is easy to pick a number and then once you get in the vicinity just (on a serious level) walk away. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, just that the people that tend to be successful at it are the same people who simply adjust their ambitions and never get off the merry-go-round.

There is a certain point though where you will relax and things become relatively routine and boring until every 7th-10th year crisis shows up and makes it all interesting again. It sounds like you are there, so now is the time to start minting money. Enjoy it, it is rarefied air.

#33     Feb 20, 2011
  4. TD80

TD80

If things are working out for you, then by all means keep chugging.

My point was that if someone hasn't been where the OP is, and therefore can't really empathize with his/her situation, then it doesn't make any sense why they would be commenting in a negative way, offering advice, flaming, or what have you.

If you are claiming you have been there, and all you have to do is compartmentalize to solve the problem, then we just disagree which isn't a big deal.

In terms of letting go of losses, yes absolutely for your average run of the mill trade this should be happening for someone at a high level.

The problem is getting to that high level and staying there over long periods of time takes pain (for some of us at least) and the discussion surrounds how this emotional pain in the forging of a successful trader impacts that trader outside of trading.

#34     Feb 20, 2011
  5. Redneck

Redneck

And if the OP had asked me to elaborate on compartmentalizing I would have oblidged…

Instead you made the comment I didn’t know what the fuck I was talking about – which obviously caught my attention

=================================================================================================

This pain you reference – from what source does it originate

No need to answer – you and I both know – its pain we create for our selves….

================================================================================================

I maintain get your head screwed on straight there is need for pain….

There is work, set backs, things to learn, walls, more work, more set backs…..

But there is no need for pain – if we make it so

We agree on that?

===============================================================================================

I’m not into memorializing anything – especially that which holds me back…

I am all about doing whatever is necessary to achieve my goals

iow – I try not to suffer my own ignorance – any longer than is absolutely necessary – for me to grow and move on - sans pain... As it simply serves no purpose, imo

RN

#35     Feb 20, 2011
  6. It doesn't really matter what you do (trading, business, etc.), but as long as you're after the big money you'll eventually develop a (psychological) carapace so thick you might not be able to shed it.

The only solution is as you've suggested: Set a goal where you'll stop after reaching it. This is what Bismarck did, he wanted to create a new nation with a progressive social policy and stopped after having achieved that end.

Your emotional component is far more valuable than money. Going further b/c of greed will consume you.

Live as abundantly as you need to achieve your divine purpose. Thinking you need to be rich or poor are both traps in of themselves that lead to nowhere.

#36     Feb 21, 2011
  7. Redneck

Redneck

Won’t disagree with any of this

I will add

Doesn’t sound like ‘the dark side”

Doesn’t entail being a victim

Doesn’t entail any pain

Does mean one evolves a thick skin so shit no longer bothers them – or does it….

Because enough will never be enough – if first you are not happy with yourself…
    ==============================================================================================

Completely happy with our self – now there’s a novel concept – unfortunately so few ever find…….

Pity – really….

For that is where the real strength to endure…, the ability to take total control…, the ability to love…, the ability to enjoy…, and the ability to suffer set backs…, the ability to let it roll off your back…, the ability to accept what your dealt and move on..., the ability to forgive..., the ability to laugh at yourself, – and more – lies

It’s not what happens to us, but rather how we respond – that make us who, and what – we are…..

Here’s to looking in a mirror, and really liking who you see – sans any ego ( I am not perfect, but I am me - warts and all)

But I can also be more cut throat than the next bastard when it comes to trading - make no mistake
    RN

#37     Feb 21, 2011
  8. Redneck

Redneck

Think what you will

RN

#38     Feb 21, 2011
  9. well Redneck, different people trade under different circumstances
    i think everyone knows what you need to do in trading
    but as with many things in life, it is easier said than done
    some people are in places in life that enable BETTER trading, enable easier control of one's self
    if i had a hot wife, a house, plenty of money, etc, I wouldn't be posting here

with my situation, i can't just sit back relax and enjoy my life
    oh a losing day, ill shrug it off with a beer at the beach tomorrow? not me, i don't have that luxury
    i work 2 jobs and i will continue to work 2 jobs until i grind my way to that comfort zone
    i do not ENJOY working 7 days a week
    month after month
    conversely, i do ENJOY the ultimate battle
    i found a way to screw my mind up and get a head start beating the emotions out of my rational self. it just so happens that it also makes working the daily grind 50x easier.
    by shutting myself out i shut the world out. i feel nothing when my friends are out doing something and im at work or sleeping or backtesting, when a pretty girl smiles or talks to me i cut it short and integrate her into the end goal, i was listening to the new radiohead album which typically provoke floods of emotion. i absolutely loved the music, the detail, the craftsmanship, but i FELT nothing!
    i read steenbarger, he gives very good advice, solid stuff, but he is also a wealthy psychologist

some of us have to work our ass off for pennies to build our dream
    sure, once you're a baller you can escape to la - la land and trade well, losing day - head to the beach
    when i emerge, who knows what kind of person i'll be like
    --------------------------
    ---------------------------

that being said, yes I went to UCI, and I used to live right across the street from Cha for Tea hahaha, yeah they were very good. my favorite place down in Orange County was Brussel's Bistro in Laguna Beach, check it out sometime, best bolognese ive ever had, and ive been to italy. belgian beers on tap. they used to have a hot czech bartender, but i doubt she's still there. they also have live jazz on certain weekdays
    http://www.brusselsbistro.com

#39     Feb 21, 2011
  10. Redneck

Redneck

For what ever this is worth

I grew up on a farm/ ranch with 13 siblings

I know what work is..., and being with out..., and getting hand me downs / goodwill’s finest

I put myself through school (took eight years)

And my wife ain’t the hottest around – but I love her and my kids with all my heart

I do the best I can - with what I got - every day

RN

#40     Feb 21, 2011