The Dark Side Of Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Maverick74, Oct 9, 2011.

1. +1.

Adding to that:
    Jobs responded to the Foxconn story with a blatant lie that, "Foxconn is not a sweatshop". Around this time, Foxconn put up nets around the building to stop people from committing suicide by jumping off the roof. This act by itself is jaw-dropping. I mean, if you saw this episode in a comedy movie (i.e., placing nets to prevent people from jumping rather than reduce their working hours or allow them to talk to each other while working), you'd think, "Ha, what a corny, unbelievable anecdote to make the villain look evil".

This episode taught me a lot about the shallowness of people.

Also : I wonder if one is in blind love with Steve Jobs for giving you a shiny iToy, while ignoring the rest of the details of the story, I wonder if this indicates that one may be not objective enough or detail-oriented enough to be a trader?! Not sure, but I'd pause to check myself if I was this infatuated.

#21     Oct 10, 2011
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

A bit of hyperbole, what say? And tough to have it both ways, being for small government, less regulation, hands-off business and at the same time sounding Politically Correct about the mean ole corporation. In fact regarding child labor, workers' hours, etc. they have similar conditions to what we had here in the 1800's and early 1900's which fueled our Industrial Revolution. Anyway, besides some Apple products Foxconn also makes products for:

Acer
    Amazon
    Asus,
    Intel
    Cisco
    Hewlett-Packard
    Dell
    Nintendo
    Nokia
    Microsoft
    Motorola
    Sony
    Vizio

So while it's convenient to dump on Jobs and his iPhones as if he's solely responsible for Foxconn working conditions the truth is they are very commonplace in China (and India), and is a fact of governments leaving business alone. It's a trade-off that American (and other) companies are willing to deal with in order to get cheaper parts/products. I'm not saying that makes it right, which is certainly open to debate, but it is good business.

#22     Oct 10, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yes, all those companies make products there and they are all guilty of the same thing but we are not holding those CEO's up as a God. I'm just saying we should be a little more careful who we anoint.

Yes, I'm all for small government and less regulations but that does not mean I want kids dying of cancer or being abused in factories so I can save $10 on my next I-Phone. The funny thing is if our unions in this country didn't go to the other extreme and demand people with high school educations to make 75k a year and million dollar pensions, we could actually make these things over here. There has to be some middle ground between abusive and corrupt unions and children being abused in factories in China and I'm all in support of finding where that middle ground is.

#23     Oct 10, 2011
  4. Picaso

Picaso

Well said.

#24     Oct 10, 2011
  5. Remember folks, the ones who CONSUME such slave-labor products are just as guilty!

#25     Oct 10, 2011
  6. let's wait until those CEOs die before we could pile some dirt on them

#26     Oct 10, 2011
  7. So because charities are not perfect none of them deserve any contributions at all? Whatever justifies selfishness I guess.

And by the way, people are being treated and cured of cancer every day, just not in EVERY case (again, sorry but nothing's perfect).

#27     Oct 10, 2011
  8. toc

toc

Shouting and calling names is just fine, in competitive world many a times you have to waken up the sleepy souls.

However, Chinese prison camp like labor sweat shops are not acceptable. This shows that billions that Jobs made were not his but came out of the blood and sweat and resulting ill will of the workers. No wonder this man died in mid fifties. Ego miniac bastard in his personal life he was. Cut out all the charity programs also, show he was also greedy and cruel.

No wonder Buffet is hale and harty in his 80s and Gates will also live a long life. To give is to also get. Both in terms of goods and bads.

:D :cool: :p

#28     Oct 10, 2011

9. you're right , when you have that kind of money, there is no reason to give to charity organizations, you set up your own foundation

#29     Oct 10, 2011
  10. AK100

AK100

30 years ago we had -

Jonny Cash
    Steve Jobs, and
    Bob Hope

Now we've got no cash, no jobs and no hope :)

#30     Oct 10, 2011