The Curious Story of TickZoom

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by bluelou, May 23, 2009.

1. Before answering your question:

Somehow I still got notification of this post after turning off notification on this thread. Or maybe you posted this before I disabled.

So I will attempt to answer your question. But first, let me explain that my PM is disabled. And notifications on this thread will stop. So any other questions will be better in a different thread.

But it's kind of only once a week that I search for threads with the keyword "tickzoom".

I have this policy to prevent distractions except from members or candidate members who post tickets in the members-only wiki or email me directly or ask questions in the members only forum.

The answer to all your questions is yes. You call those "standard" but it's amazing how few companies have really adopted those and especially TDD.

Frankly, it's nearly impossible to retroactively setup high coverage automated tests on systems that weren't designed with TDD (test driven development) from the beginning.

But since that's how TZ was built from the beginning, it's almost stunning how quickly TZ can innovate (also partly due to the architecture) new features and enhancements requested.

That's all because the Q&A process for a new release take minutes, and has far higher quality than most Q&A and regression test departments.

But, even though members love the instant updates, that's still far from being the best part according to them.

Ta ta for now. It's time for me to get back to working enhancement/defect tickets on TZ.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#21     Jun 3, 2009
  2. byteme

byteme

Is it true that you used another alias, ChaosTheory, to shill your product in these forums?

What happened? Didn't it work out? Not enough new members fell for the "closing in 24 hours" tactic?

Is that why you're back here to to be "open to ideas on how to remedy that"?

Your use of ChaosTheory was completely dishonest and reflects directly upon you and your business.

#22     Jun 3, 2009
  3. byteme

byteme

Perhaps this is the first time you've implemented TDD et al and that would explain why it took an "extreme" amount of effort and why you find it so "stunning"?

Is it perhaps like the time when another ET member advised you on how to stream quotes instead of loading them all into memory leading you to label it as "TickZoom speed streaming technology" or something of the sort?

I just don't know how you can make that claim.

Nevertheless, good luck with your endeavours.

#23     Jun 3, 2009
  4. I'm done commenting about the OP's obviously biased and misleading post.

And you're right about help needed except that it will take more than luck. We have to get more skilled at letting people down easy, obviously.

By the way, TSGannGalt, your advice about tickzoom way back was dead on accurate. The market for TZ has turned out to never be the computer techie with $10,000 ( I think that's how you said it) but professional traders and institutions who already make a living or a business of trading and especially automated trading.

Frankly, TSGannGalt, I've heard of other companies with a selection process who build a cult following of people upset for getting declined.

How to handle that? Note my post that I won't be following this thread any longer or return to it.

Anyway, if anyone wants to discuss this, offer any advice on how to let people down "easy", etc. I'll be happy to hear and or discuss it.

But it will have to be via email or in a different thread.

Good night!

#24     Jun 3, 2009
  5. Well I've done it in Java. But the C# frameworks for mocking objects leave a lot to be desired. Had to write some of my own mocks. But finally settled on the commerical TypeMock product. Very slick design.

Hunh? It takes human Q&A weeks to properly regression test any kind of serious system absent automated testing.

Some trading platform vendors promised new versions for months which turn into years. The reason given is ordinarily the long Q&A/testing period.

Those platforms are better in many ways than tickzoom, especially for discretionary trading since TZ doesn't support discretionary trading at all yet--only historical testing and automation.

So it's just unfortunate that TDD was invented or become main stream long after those were already developed since it's so hard to go back and retroactively add it in.

I will just have to come to grips with the fact that as soon as you ask money for a product everybody takes everything you say as either false or greatly exaggerated.

TZ is by no means perfect or a panousia. Plus, it's only a good fit for certain people with an amount of skill and experience at trading and software.

Wayne

#25     Jun 3, 2009
  6. Well, I explained all that to bluelou at the first of our conversation. How do you think he knows this? So my conscience is clear. And it's fine with me if he has clarified that for others.

But if you read the chaostheory posts you will see they also point out the downside of tickzoom like only supporting a single symbol and being fairly new software so lacking in built in indicators.

They also make it clear that there's an approval process and so not everyone qualifies.

Now, it seems silly the comments about "24 hour tactic" etc.

That's simply because noone ever joins tickzoom as paying members until they thoroughly try out the software and we assess whether they fit the group.

Bottom line, either the software is fast or it isn't. Either there is great support, or there isn't. All those things a person can evaluate themselves and see all forum posts, all past tickets, etc. and judge for themselves.

So how can anybody get faked or tricked, "fall for", etc?

Plus none of the current TZ members joined from hearing about it on elitetrader as far as I know. The ones I asked say they never heard of elitetrader.

It's understandable if people get upset about getting declined access.

And others are unhappy that it doesn't have "easy monthly payments".

Tickzoom is only suitable for professional traders with some amount of programming skill.

None of them rely on anybody's testimonials, etc. they have the knowledge and experience to evaluate and decide for themselves.

Wayne

#26     Jun 3, 2009
  7. Wayne,

When's that last post in this thread coming?

You write that you don't care about what ET thinks but yet you continue to answer everyone. That's what I call a stupid response in a serious manner.

#27     Jun 3, 2009
  8. I just got notified of you post in spite of unchecking the "email notification" on the post. I'll try again and also try the email link to unsubscribe.

Thanks. I really can't resist when I get those email notifications. *smile*

Hopefully it will turn off.

Anyway, good night.

#28     Jun 3, 2009
  9. Oh, sorry, I do care. I paid to be a sponsor, right?

I was only saying that noone got "tricked" or "shilled" by anything on elitetrader.

Current TZ members only like tickzoom for what it does and how they're able to use it not because of what some post somewhere or other said about.

Anyway, we're not taking applications right now.

It will be at least a week or two and then a window will open.

We'll post the announcement on ET that we're taking apps for 5 new members of tickzoom.

It appears there are already at least 2 or 3 good candidates referred by current members. So after they apply it will only leave 2 or 3 slots to ET applications.

The next opportunity after that will come sometime in August probably.

You'll find on tickzoom.org no way to download a trial or apply at present.

So HOPEFULLY any flurry of discussion, questions, and complaints by declinees will all happen during that window and then it will get quiet a while.

Like bluelue said in the O.P. it's all super secret right now.

Wayne

P.S. Thanks for questions TSGannGalt. Your last post didn't send an email notification so it looks like this is really the last.

#29     Jun 3, 2009
  10. lol... another scammer outed.

It's interesting. In observing that other mega-scammer, Alex from PureTick (maybe having the name 'Tick' in your name is correlated with scamming?), the one thing you notice with these guys is that they are just totally committed to the scam. Even when they get eviscerated by someone who reveals their scam, they just keep right on posting as if nothing happened.

I guess that's the kind of balls you need to run these types of scams.

I can just imagine what this guy sounds like on the phone. Like the worst used-car salesman of all time.

To be honest, I don't have any sympathy for anyone who would pay a guy like this one cent.

And of course, the days when being an ET sponsor meant anything are long gone.

#30     Jun 3, 2009