The correct way to say "stock market trader" in Japanese?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MoneyMatthew, May 9, 2017.

1. I apologize in advance for using romaji but I'm still a newbie....

Is it "kabushiki ichiba no toreda" OR "kabushiki souba no toreda"???

I've heard different things from different people, I can't find a clear cut answer online.
    Feel free to toss in the correct way to say "futures trader" in Japanese. Thanks to all who reply.

2. mlawson71

mlawson71

I think it is the latter, but I am not certain.

3. jj90

jj90

@MoneyMatthew You are trying way too hard to impress those girls in Shinjuku. Just show up.

OddTrader likes this.
  4. LOL, thank you for saying Shinjuku and not Roppongi.

5. As I told you, ichiba 市場, meaning market, is like a fish market, outdoor market, vegetable market. Souba 相場、also meaning market but written differently is used as in stock market.
    But in short you can just say kabushiki toreda 株式トレーダー、or (futures) sakimono toreda 先物トレーダー。 souba.jpg

MoneyMatthew likes this.
  6. Cash, a lot of cash, will do the same!

7. I don't know if you are trying to learn this just as a phrase or if you already have a certain degree of conversational ability. If the latter, then in real life you can just say that you are a trader, and it will be assumed that you trade stock. But if you're asked what you trade, you can say kabu (not kabushiki). Guess you're now more confused that ever!

Baron and MoneyMatthew like this.
  8. LOL, thank you for taking the time to explain it again learner2007, my Japanese studies have fallen behind for a number of reasons. Actually the real reason for learning that phrase is because out of politeness if anyone offers me a business card then I will not have one to offer them in return. Unless I should make business cards that say "self-employed trader" lol. I am not trying to solicit investors so I don't see the point of making business cards. I don't even know what my phone number will be in Japan yet because I plan to rent a phone from a kiosk in the airport.

9. If you're coming as a tourist, I doubt that you'll have a business card exchange problem. But if someone asks you what you do, just say trader. You don't need to include self employed.

MoneyMatthew likes this.
  10. Thanks again for the response. I haven't seen our buddy Zzzz1 online in awhile so I think you are the last authority on Japan and trading that I have seen on this site.

#10     May 21, 2017