The Cool Kids Aren't Starting Hedge Funds Anymore Read more

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Banjo, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Did they lost to HFTs?

#11     Apr 10, 2013
  2. Butterball

Butterball

You suffer from a misunderstanding what a hedge fund strategy is and what it is not. A hedge fund manager employing a strategy can have an edge, the edge is not the strategy.

A hedge fund strategy is usually an approach based on criticism of efficient market theory. Google 'value investing', 'carry trade' or 'convertible arbitrage'. Don't mistake them for edges.

#12     Apr 10, 2013
  3. Trading and investing in common have no edge,unless you put millions in it.It doesn`t make any freaking sense.

#13     Apr 10, 2013
  4. cornix

cornix

Did you need millions to buy stock indexes in March 2009 for example? :)

#14     Apr 10, 2013
  5. You don't understand how market works,do you?Take daily data from 2009 and count from open to close consecutive up days and down days.You wouldn't earn shit!Buy and hold trend following doesn't work,wake fkn up!The only way to make any decent money by carrying over the position is to use some sort of a cycling strategy.But then you have to adjust it according to the trend to avoid any serious troubles.For the intraday trading you'd need even MORE money!!!Or you can continue to make your 500$ your doing now.

#15     Apr 10, 2013
  6. cornix

cornix

Maybe we don't understand each other...

How is this not profitable buy and hold trend? :confused:

[​IMG]

As for intraday trading, even $500 per contract can be not bad at all so I don't complain. :p

#16     Apr 10, 2013
  7. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!:D Goshhhhh...And you say your trading for 8 years now?

I understand your confusion,though...

#17     Apr 10, 2013
  8. cornix

cornix

I assume that set of letters means you have no sane argument to present? :)

#18     Apr 10, 2013
  9. Agh...to be able to look back into the past and take trades...

#19     Apr 10, 2013
  10. cornix

cornix

Not talking about that particular trade here, my bread and butter is intra-day stuff. But buy and hold no doubt can provide an edge if one possesses abilities to read fundamental context well.

#20     Apr 10, 2013