The Consequence of Sin - The Cities of Sodom and Gomorrah

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ByLoSellHi, May 21, 2009.

1. stu

stu

yt,

It appears you are suggesting it's generally better just to hold a false sense of security.

#51     May 29, 2009
  2. young. if what you believe is true and happening we should be able to use our computers and run a statistics program and see that believers have fewer bad things happen to them than nonbelievers. newsflash. it has been done. there is no difference. how do you rationalize evidence that falsifies what you believe?

#52     May 29, 2009
  3. how do you rationalize evidence that falsifies what you believe?
    -----------------

I can rationalize that my attitude toward what I believe (in spite of the newsflash) provides the best course of action to follow in my life.

#53     May 29, 2009
  4. does intellectual honesty have no value to you?

#54     May 29, 2009
  5. Yes. But people follow their heart even when they know it is not good for them or may be blantanly wrong.

#55     May 29, 2009
  6. if you follow your heart or emotions instead of what the evidence shows you are not being intellectually honest.

#56     May 29, 2009

7. How could a study demonstrate this or disprove this.

The faith that YT talks of may affect the actions of him and his family members, which produces a different result than if they had no faith - in other words - the study you speak of is flawed in that it doesn't qualify or quantify the effects faith has on a family like YT has, because the study you reference would have to be able to qualify and quantify how they'd fare without the faith they possess you have only compared families and/or individuals (different families and/or individuals) with and without faith, in order to be reliable.

And once you do that, then you could start studying whether there's any externalities involved because of or despite faith...

#57     May 29, 2009
  8. many studies have been done in the area of health and wealth and divorce rates. there is no difference in the lives of believers and non believers. in fact in the area of wealth there is a negitive correlation between strong belief and income.
    with a large population sample size it will take into account your question.
    you really dont need to go much farther than a hospital to prove that faith and prayer have no value. there have been dozens of studies showing no difference between believers and non believers in health outcomes.

#58     May 29, 2009
  9. I agree. It's a trade off and cost/benefits. Their are varying degrees between heart rules the head. It is human nature.

#59     May 29, 2009
  10. I don't know the answer, so I'm asking, but has this study been critiqued or disproven?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/485268.stm

#60     May 29, 2009