The Coming Oil Crisis

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by capmac, Apr 19, 2006.

1. I didn't read any of this, but I did write an interesting report in my college english class on Global Warming. I still love the whole "Day After Tomorrow" scenario!

All the fighting over oil and money, yet our childrens children and more generations will suffer I believe.

With all the hurricanes, the strange weather *here at least*, and the average temperature higher than it has ever been, just makes me wonder if all of us are blind to what we all should really be focusing on, the longer term.

hehe, I'm not an environmentalist, but doing that paper opened my eyes to the fact that the thing we fight over in the past *Oil*, very well could end up fighting us in the future and come out victorious. *Also referring to more wars, nuclear warfare, environmental decay*

All that goody good stuff that we think about once in awhile, but seem to always forget.

Just some more food for thought........

#12     Apr 20, 2006
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

The only reason why oil still plays such an important role is because its price is absorbable. $70-$100 people will and can pay (might need to cut back on few things and obviously cry hysterically). At $200-$300 or some other obscene level, it will be put to rest with some alternative way.

If we look back in history, there was huge whales hunting industry in mid 19th century, whales were hunted for production of lamp oil. Close to the end of third quarter of the century, the prices became so high that majority of public could not pay them anymore. Guess what, kerosene was invented, and despite huge outcry from whaling industry, it gained huge acceptance.

History tends to repeat itself. I am not sure when this will happen, but at some point oil will no longer be what it is today. Meanwhile, we can profit from trading it.

Regards,
    redduke

#13     Apr 20, 2006
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi JMowery1987,

Please do not take it as an insult, but what exactly did you love about this scenario. Hundreds of millions of people died during the storm, the world economy collapsed and other horrors laid ahead.

Redduke

#14     Apr 20, 2006
  4. I loved the scenario as in it was my most favorable to happen *In my report I repeatedly expressed how well the movie portrayed the end of the world* It was a great depiction of what could happen in the future.

I don't "love" it like that, just mis-understood my meaning. I just think it is the most probable situation and I "loved" how the movie brought it all out and stuff. I don't like the results. I'm not a horror movie type of person anyways.

Regardless, doesn't matter if I hate it or love it, so many argue it is too late to do anything about it anyways. Is it true, not sure.

#15     Apr 20, 2006
  5. I agree with most of what you say - do you have a cite for the comment, "The only reason we are not blowing full-speed ahead into a hydrogen economy is b/c the oil companies continue to buy up any relevant patents concerning hydrogen production and assimilated products, thus limiting hydrogen exposure to the public"?

DS

#16     Apr 20, 2006
  6. nah...i don't have a documented source...but that is how big business and monopolies work...I'm pretty sure if the fate of the oil industry is in the hands of a few chemical engineers working with hydrogen production...big oil will know how to step in and protect their assets...of course you and I will never know about it

#17     Apr 20, 2006
  7. capmac

capmac

Gasoline soars amid reported shortages

But experts say any disruptions are bound to be small and short as the industry transitions from winter to summer gas.

By Steve Hargreaves, CNNMoney.com staff writer
    April 21, 2006: 12:52 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Gasoline prices popped above $3 a gallon in more parts of the U.S. this week, amid reports of spot shortages in some markets.

Gas prices shot up three cents on average Friday, to $2.855 for a gallon of regular, according to the motorist organization AAA, which says the average is above $3 a gallon in California, Washington D.C., Hawaii and New York,

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/21/news/economy/gas_shortage/index.htm

#18     Apr 21, 2006
  8. im a firm believer in +commodities until the forseeable future.

#19     Apr 21, 2006
  9. smallfil

smallfil

Like it or not natural resources are limited. Eventually, with more and more people born and people continue with their wasteful consumption----something has got to give!!!
    I agree that eventually alternative sources of energy will be developed and used but, we will have more oil in probably 10 years I reckon. The Athabasca Oil Sands of Canada are reported to have as huge oil reserves as Saudi Arabia. It is being developed now and they are able to get oil from the oil sands. It may take maybe, another 5 years for them to develop it to the point that they produce millions of barrels of oil. In the meantime,
    we will probably continue to have high oil prices until, we learn our lessons. An expensive lesson at that!!!

#20     Apr 22, 2006