The Chicago Drunks won't like this

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Pabst

Pabst

The mayor of Chicago is a Democrat. His brother was Clinton's Commerce secretary and led the Gore recount team in Florida. Many have told me though that they believe Mayor Daley voted for Bush against Kerry.

I give Daley kudo's. He's a good Mayor and realizes inner city crime is a civil rights issue. Why should the poor be held hostage by lawless thugs? Many urban sociologists are reaching the conclusion that for as much as poverty causes crime, crime also prolongs poverty.

One of the dirty little secrets of Katrina was the fact that many folks in New Orleans were fearful to evacuate, knowing that their homes and possessions would be looted by those who stayed.

#11     Feb 20, 2006
  2. One of the worst things about racism and bigotry toward African Americans is the fear that the black man will hurt the white man if left unchecked, and that when this fear is manifest into action, it takes the form of police action or other actions that paint a picture that never existed....before the facts are actually in.

Racism is not a little secret, but it sure is dirty....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harry-shearer/correcting-the-record-ag_b_16000.html

For those who chose to believe the early, fevered rumor-filled reports on New Orleans during Katrina Week, the facts have caught up slowly, if at all. Here's the latest attempt to correct the record, in, of all places, Popular Mechanics, part of their large takeout on Katrina myths and facts. The gist:

In reality, although looting and other property crimes were widespread after the flooding on Monday, Aug. 29, almost none of the stories about violent crime turned out to be true. Col. Thomas Beron, the National Guard commander of Task Force Orleans, arrived at the Superdome on Aug. 29 and took command of 400 soldiers. He told PM that when the Dome's main power failed around 5 am, "it became a hot, humid, miserable place. There was some pushing, people were irritable. There was one attempted rape that the New Orleans police stopped."

The only confirmed account of a weapon discharge occurred when Louisiana Guardsman Chris Watt was jumped by an assailant and, during the chaotic arrest, accidently shot himself in the leg with his own M-16.

When the Superdome was finally cleared, six bodies were found--not the 200 speculated. Four people had died of natural causes; one was ruled a suicide, and another a drug overdose. Of the four bodies recovered at the convention center, three had died of natural causes; the fourth had sustained stab wounds.

Anarchy in the streets? "The vast majority of people [looting] were taking food and water to live," says Capt. Marlon Defillo, the New Orleans Police Department's commander of public affairs. "There were no killings, not one murder." As for sniper fire: No bullet holes were found in the fuselage of any rescue helicopter.

Popular Mechanics. A magazine NASCAR fans believe. Maybe.

#12     Feb 20, 2006
  3. Do Chicago cops fight much <b>real</b> crime anymore? Or on those rare occasions when they get off their swine asses to do some work, they're far more devoted to:

Prohibition enforcement.
    Prostitution stings.
    Restaurant smoking ban supervision.
    Planting drugs on guys they don't like.
    Anti-2nd amendment crackdowns.
    'Underage' drinking harassment.
    Undercover narc infiltration.
    New spy camera installations ( For The Children ).
    Screwing with random young black men to pass the time.
    Alderman bribe-taking assistance, and...
    Unlicensed massage therapist arrests.

From personal experience, I know they really don't care much for taking the minimal effort required to even glance at six figure felony grand larceny cases- even if undeniable conclusive evidence is shoved right under their fat lazy faces. Fighting illegal activity with <b>actual victims</b> really isn't their forte, I suppose. Other than that, I wholeheartedly support Chicago's finest.

#13     Feb 20, 2006
  4. Pabst

Pabst

It's Blacks who are most commonly the victims of black criminals. If whites were victimized by crime in the same numbers as minorities you'd see draconian methods used by law enforcement. IMO someone who chooses to live in white bread suburbia and act as if they're not racist is far worse than those who choose to stay in diverse neighborhoods and offer pragmatic solutions towards improving conditions.

The reports of violent crime were clearly mythical exaggerations. The reports of looting, often by the police themselves, were clearly true.

A Google search of, "new orleans" katrina looting: returns a massive 1,350,000 hits including video, witness accounts, anecdotes by store owners ect.

#14     Feb 20, 2006
  5. So then what you're really saying is that you live in the Chicago area ....

:D :D :D

#15     Feb 20, 2006
  6. Banjo

Banjo

#16     Feb 20, 2006
  7. they're gonna have to make THAT a lot smaller if they're gonna make me stick THAT under my skin.

let's try FLASH memory!

what's next.. a CAMCORDER strapped to your penis so they can catch you coming and going?

:eek:

#17     Feb 20, 2006
  8. I don't see the civil liberties concerns from having surveillance cameras in public places. What is the difference between a camera and having a cop stand there? Is there also a civil liberties objection to having police on the street?

We have the technology to make our streets safer from crime and terrorism. It's foolish not to use it. It is widely used in the UK, which is not exactly a police state.

Obviously, there is a difference when the government starts mandating that private businesses install cameras. Given all th eother mandates that are forced on busisness, particularly those which serve the public, it doesn't seem like a big infringement. I certainly would think twice about going to a mall that refused to install a basic security system. In fact, I would think they were running a huge liability risk. They have a legal obligation to take reasonable steps to protect their patrons. What is more reasonable than monitoring their vast parking garages?

#18     Feb 20, 2006
  9. how 'bout some tanks in the Square too?

put the fear of god in everyone.

might even make a christian out of me.

Life is good!

#19     Feb 20, 2006
  10. some significant differences are that a cop on the corner can't store the images he sees indefinitely, can't link his memory with the memory of every other cop, can't correlate his vision with transaction and travel records, and can't transmit a file of his memory to anyone else.

and the obvious retort to the "nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything wrong" line is: it depends on who decides what's "wrong."

ask a chinese guy if it's such a good idea. ask someone who lived in pre-1990 ussr if it's such a good idea to watch people for "wrong" activity. ask a cuban if he doesn't mind the government watching him to make sure he's not "wrong."

will the bushworshippers, giddy about monitoring minorities and abortion clinics, be so enthusiastic about president hillary recording their trips to the gun store?

#20     Feb 20, 2006