The Cesspool that is California Continues to Grow

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tsing Tao, May 1, 2018.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

A Liberal Paradise. I'm sure RRY will be here shortly to tell me how much Florida sucks.

California highway workers face 'buckets of human feces,' needles as homeless crisis worsens

California highway maintenance workers express safety concerns dealing with homeless cleanup.

As California's homeless population skyrockets, the cost of cleaning up the state's numerous shanty towns is also hitting record highs -- and the price tag is likely to keep rising as workers tasked with tossing the vagrants' syringes, feces and buckets of urine fight for safer conditions.

The Golden State's homeless population of more than 130,000 people is now about 25 percent of the nationwide total, and cleaning up after the surging group is getting costly -- topping $10 million in 2016-17. But the human cost is getting equally untenable, a workers' advocate says.

In an official grievance filed last week, the union representing California's maintenance workers accused the state of subjecting its members to hazardous conditions without proper training or equipment.

[​IMG]

"It is the Union's contention that Caltrans is not ensuring that our members are being provided the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), necessary training, necessary vaccinations and proper compensation for the dangerous hazmat duties they are performing when cleaning up homeless encampments on State Caltrans property," International Union of Operating Engineers director Steve Crouch said in the complaint.

Crouch told KTVU on Monday that maintenance crews often have to work in areas where the ground is muddy, slippery and ridden with debris that can include objects that are exceedingly sharp. Other items are simply dangerous to touch, such as potentially toxic or biologically unsafe materials.

[​IMG]
    Workers come across needles, buckets full of feces and other debris while cleaning up encampments. (KTVU)

"Feces and urine and feminine products and all kinds of things on the ground; needles, syringes, you know they use buckets, five-gallon buckets for toilets and it gets really disgusting," he said.

Besides the prospect of touching dangerous material, workers are also confronted with the open hostility from the "residents" of the encampments they are trying to clear.

"Sometime they have pit bulls in there. They'll, you know, let the dogs loose to chase the Caltrans workers out," Crouch said. "Sometimes they'll throw rocks at the Caltrans workers."

HOMELESS ENCAMPMENTS INCREASINGLY AFFECTING CALIFORNIA TRAIN TRAFFIC

In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, one Caltrans worker who asked not to be named due to fear of retribution said he's been involved in six cleanups so far this year but only been given a pair of gloves as protection.

“I’ve been exposed to blood, needles, women’s feminine products… five-gallon buckets of human feces,” he told The Bee.

"I’ve been exposed to blood, needles, women’s feminine products… five-gallon buckets of human feces."

- Caltrans maintenance worker
    The department told KTVU in a statement that, "Safety is a top priority for Caltrans and we will carefully review the grievance."

The surge of homelessness in the Golden State is also costing the state tens of millions of taxpayer dollars. Caltrans said in its Mile Marker magazine the department has spent about $29.2 million in cleaning up encampments since fiscal year 2012-13.

[​IMG]
    A large homeless encampment along the Santa Ana River Trail in Anaheim. (Reuters)

In the past year alone, Caltrans estimated the cleanup costs in 2016-17 topped $10 million, a 34 percent increase over the previous year across all 12 regional districts. Maintenance crews encountered about 7,000 homeless camps on rights of way of the state's 254 highways.

California's homeless population ticked up by 13.7 percent to 134,278 people in the past year, about 25 percent of the national total, according to a U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development report.

HOMELESS MAY GET MOBILE SHOWERS AT LOS ANGELES METRO STATIONS

"Homelessness is a problem throughout the country, but is more visible in California where HUD reported 68.2 percent of the homeless population lives in unsheltered locations such as streets and parks," Caltrans said in its report. "That is the highest percentage in the country."

[​IMG]Video
    Orange County officials begin clearing massive homeless camp
    A typical camp cleanup takes days to complete, according to the agency, with a notification first posted at the site at least 72 hours before crews arrive.

Crouch said Monday he hopes his grievance causes the department to focus on keeping the transportation system moving.

"Their job is to maintain the highways and freeways, you know, that's filling the potholes, that's doing the striping of the lines, that's doing the guardrails alone the edge, that's trimming the trees and shrubs and bushes along the highway," he said. "Their job is not to clean up homeless encampments."

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

This is from fox news, so it can safely be disregarded.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Yes, I'm sure those pictures, and the videos are all fabricated. Oh, and the grievances filed by the California Engineers, that's made up, too.

And pay no attention to the interview from the Sacbee quoted in the article (with link). Everyone knows the Sacbee is a conservative hack site.

4. elderado

elderado

Rest assured, California's Governor Jerry Brown doesn't watch Fox News, therefore, the problem doesn't actually exist. Fake news.

California is the golden state, everything is wonderful and there's no homeless there, just car-challenged people.

Poindexter likes this.
  5. I see your fox news dis and I re-raise you one SFGate:
    https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Tolerant-San-Francisco-fed-up-with-dirty-smelly-12875527.php

The headline reads "Tolerant San Francisco Fed Up with Dirty Smelly Streets." Now a common Republican complaint is that Black Run Democrat Cities are horrible and never improve from a crime stats and quality of life perspective. The Democratic Response to that is always something about decreasing tax base/Corrupt Police ect..ect... So what is San Francisco's excuse?

San Francisco is America's wealthiest urban area. The Tax Base is there so no White Flight to blame here. This is one of the epicenters of technological innovation yet they can't seem to keep to bums from shooting up in plain site as well as defecating everywhere like Pigeons.

So why are things the way they are right now in the streets of San Francisco??? (I expect to hear some long drawn out explanation dating back hundreds of years and involving Republicans and some grand conspiracy).

Being tolerant is fine, it is how you define your city. But tolerant of what? Bums doing drugs openly, dropping used needles everywhere and harassing anyone who walks by? The locals are afraid to speak up for fear of not being seen as tolerant.

San Francisco, home of America's Hardcore OBD's (Open Border Democrats).

6. elderado

elderado

San Francisco seems to really have a handle on the problem and is working hard to address it.

I think it's time the rest of the United States give up on their failed programs and give their homeless a free, permanent trip to San Francisco, where they'll enjoy a beautiful, rich, diverse city and have all the services they'll ever need.

7. Max E.

Max E.

This San Francisco Bart Station Has Been Overrun by Drug Addicts

8. RRY16

RRY16

Why are you stalking me, please stop or I’m going to tell Magna on you, now I have a migraine from all this stress... please stop..Most of Fl is trash and I don’t care about the city by the bay anymore except for the Sports teams.. Santa Ana river homeless is in the OC and not even close to anyone so no one cares except Fox News..I think they are putting couches in the BART stations for anyone that needs to Couch Surf and sleep one off.

9. RRY16

RRY16

Fuck Caltrans, they all are waiting to retire on huge pensions, overpaid and underworked..they’re the ones who get paid triple time to watch each other, usually 5-10 of them fix a pothole that takes 1 to fix.

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

And on cue...

#10     May 2, 2018