The categorical imperative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Jun 22, 2009.

Is the categorical imperative bogus?

1. No, the categorical imperative is correct and Kant is God

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Yes, the categorical imperative is idiotic

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Dude, I just trade and look at girls in Daily Hottie

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. I am not sure. I need to go deeper into philosophy of morals.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. nitro

nitro

#61     Jan 18, 2010

2. Your are welcome.
    Nitro, you see how one side say it is (moral) to give asylum and make the doctors leave the poor country?
    Then other side think it is (moral) to help the poor country?

How to measure that?

Maybe I can say American doctors only become the doctor to make money, and Cuban doctors only become the doctor from compassion because they can not make big pay.
    But that is not true. My opinion is most doctors have compassion.
    And I know you understand what I am saying.:)

p.s. I do not understand all of that Kant link. Maybe too advance for me.

#62     Jan 18, 2010
  3. nitro

nitro

I do understand what you are saying.

As far as not understanding Kant, that is normal the first time you are exposed to him.

trendlover, imo, when seeking knowledge, I have found that the eastern approach from sensei to student is best: it is ok to be confused. It is not ok to be impatient and expect the answer to come immediately. Maturity requires patience. So don't give up. Read it. Let your subconscious mind brew on it, sometimes for years. One day, you may read it again, and not understand how you could not have understood it in the first place.

For example, the constitution of the US is a deep philosophical work. It didn't spring from young turks to a pen. It took people that had thought about these issues through a great deal of study. But it was reality and maturity of experience that finally made all that critical thinking real.

#63     Jan 18, 2010
  4. The situation does not require you to lie. You simply tell Billy you are not going to tell him. You did not lie, and Bob gets to live.

#64     Jan 18, 2010
    #65     Jan 18, 2010
  6. 151

Really

#66     Jan 19, 2010