The categorical imperative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Jun 22, 2009.

Is the categorical imperative bogus?

1. No, the categorical imperative is correct and Kant is God

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Yes, the categorical imperative is idiotic

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Dude, I just trade and look at girls in Daily Hottie

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. I am not sure. I need to go deeper into philosophy of morals.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. 3121

but now Billy is major pissed off at YOU . you are now the focus of his immediate attention. he's going to find Bob eventually after he's done with you :)

#21     Jun 23, 2009
  2. stu

stu

Kant's categorical imperative requires the absolute response in all circumstances. According to his philosophy and it is fundamentally that true morality is not subjective and therefore for example, you must tell the truth when asked, because truth telling is inherently good.

What is inherently good is God's will. It's a bit of pisser for the religious who like to bandy it around so it's not hard to see why drsteph jumped ship , that is, if he ever realized how self defeating Kant actually is.

#22     Jun 23, 2009
  3. Yes, but when Billy finds out you lied to him, he may well come after you. And in an attempt to get back into Billy's good graces, Bob may tell him where he can find you.

#23     Jun 23, 2009
  4. 3121

telling the truth is inherently good and must be done even when you know it will lead to a bad outcome.. and after the bad outcome comes to realization you did right and good? i don't want any part of that :)
    that's ridiculous

#24     Jun 23, 2009
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

I would tell Billy where my ex wife lives, as if she were Bob. Address, Mapquest directions, GPS coordinates and a detailed description.

Kay Sera Sera

#25     Jun 23, 2009

6. When Billy first demand to know where Bob is, he did not threaten to kill me if I do not tell him. He just demand to know. I buy time with my lie to save my friend. Now I am with my friend Bob together. We both have awareness of Billy will murder Bob if he finds him. But Bob does not know where we are. More time for Bob and me to go to the police for protection and hide. Now Billy is more afraid because he knows 2 people (Bob and me) are looking out for him. And he will think the police too will try to find him.

#26     Jun 23, 2009
  7. 3121

just tell him where to find Bob and be done with it. the crime cannot be connected to you your in the clear
    called Game Theory i win, Bob loses :D
    +1

besides would Bob save your ass?

ps what would Kant think of game Theory?

#27     Jun 23, 2009

8. I will be with Bob when Billy can not find Bob in the place I told him because I lie. Billy will know this probably because if I lie to him about Bob, then he will think I went to find Bob, and know we are together. Billy will be afraid of us too.

#28     Jun 23, 2009

9. No, I lose from a broken heart if I let my friend die.
    If Billy said he will kill me if I do not tell him, I can still lie where Bob is, save my life, save Bob too.
    I win.

#29     Jun 23, 2009
  10. 3121

after he finds bob he comes looking for you. how is that win for you?
    sell him out, fuck him :D

#30     Jun 23, 2009