The Case of the Missing Threads

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Wet, May 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vvv

vvv

i agree with wet...

a service / product for which you have to pay has to face due diligence / public criticism to afford an objective and unbiased protection of consumer rights...

this is trading we are talking about here, a business where it is the easiest thing to measure results...

if somebody has results that are presentable, why don't they show audited p/l statements??

could anything be more effective marketing??

not really, unless of course i don't have results...

cheers

#11     May 27, 2001
  2. def

def Sponsor

Wet,
    Can Gomez Advisors be sued for saying that E-Trade is the best online broker for hyperactive traders? :)

It's a silly question but the line has to be drawn somewhere. In the heat of the moment - especially when money is involved and with perceived anonimity, I think many posters are too quick to jump to conclusions without looking in the mirror. However, the beauty of a board like this is that discussions are open and when someone makes a negative post others are free to post their opposing viewpoints. Slanderous posts should be removed but not negative commments unless they clearly can be proven to be inaccurate. Barron, I hope you will be less quick to remove threads and broker rankings unless the party threatening libel has a valid complaint.

#12     May 28, 2001
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

4. Thanks Baron!

#14     May 28, 2001
  5. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

Dear Baron and the Elite Trader Forum,

I wish to take this opportunity and express my regret over how I handled some of my responses to the recent posts that were made. I most likely came off as intolerant to criticism/arrogant/pain in the butt... lol... not my intent. Let's take a look at it, there's two sides, I want you to understand the big picture, here goes:

I hope that you will all give me a fair opportunity to explain to you exactly what happened in this forum, so that you may understand my position. You are probably not all aware of the whole story.

First, I have always welcomed honest, constructive feedback on ways to improve my site. I've made dozens of site improvements based on the suggestions that my traders have made over the years, and these continue to be welcome. :)

Second, several posts were made at Elitetrader.com which were both false (regarding alleged errors at my site, eg trinq, bid/ask info) and misleading. Whether this poster is actually a competitor trying to make my site look bad (unlikely but possible), or simply a new DTU member who didn't understand the content, is not known to me.

Also, another false post mis-identifying me with another person, a Kent Calhoun in Texas, was made. This caused me great concern. (think of how would you feel?)

Third, I definitely should have simply pursued correction of these false posts with Baron and the posters offline, rather than posting public responses, so that these errors could be corrected.

Please realize that my site is my life's work and that I have been working very hard to provide top of the line content to my subscribers. I'm a UCLA alum, had a long corporate career (Ford, Rockwell, Boeing etc) prior to getting into trading, and have solid credentials. Over 140 businesses here in Hawaii have trusted me to be a trainer for them as well (Sheraton, Outrigger, Polynesian Cultural Center, and I've taught MBA courses at local universities here etc).

Rather than seeing some of the other posts that were made as criticism from a positive side, I took it as disapproval of all the hard work I have done over the last three years. I have learned my lesson from this, and will continue to respond to constructive criticism in a positive way. I have hundreds of positive trader emails, yet I reacted defensively to a few other posts, which I shouldn't have.

Traders, this last week taught me very important lessons, and I promise that I will continue to make every effort to provide solid customer service in the future. I will take all constructive criticism as an educational tool.

The only time you'll see my "feathers get ruffled", as in this last week's incident, is when false or misleading posts are made. Making mature, honest, thoughtful and sincere comments and criticisms is *always welcome*. I listen and respond. In the case of some of the posts here, I listened and over-reacted, and in a way that may have offended some.

I do sincerely apologize if I have offended anyone by the way in which I responded.

If you want to post "hey I like xyz's services better than dtu's because xyz has better coverage of swingtrading", or "I like the charts better at xyz" or whatever, types of things, that's fine of course. Making false statements about who I am, or about the content I provide, is not. Fair enough? I do need to protect my business from false statements that are made in a public forum, as many of you would also do in similar situations.

Folks, I do express my regret for the public way in which these things were discussed, in hindsight it may have been more appropriate to simply talk with Baron about this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long post, I hope it clarifies things. People, myself included, tend to rush to make responses, especially in this message board format.

All the best,

Ken Calhoun

p.s. I think all of us, myself included, would do well to give thoughtful consideration to what we say on message boards before we say it. At least, can I ask for honest posts? That's all... hope it's a reasonable request, folks. Thanks all, and good trading. (^_^)

#15     May 28, 2001
  6. mgregor

mgregor

For anyone who has been following this thread(s), I would like to inform you that Ken has refunded my $295.00 online course fee.

#16     May 28, 2001
  7. Hoyler

Hoyler

Ken,

Well done, we all live and learn, kudoes to you for owning your mistakes.

-Hoyler

#17     May 28, 2001
  8. elie

elie

my respect to Baron and Ken!

well done

eli

#18     May 28, 2001
  9. tradeRX

tradeRX

Oh p-l-e-a-s-e.......bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

#19     May 28, 2001
  10. tradeRX,
    While you are of course entitled to your opinions and insights on this matter and any other, please express your posts in a substantive manner, rather than the above which is reminiscent of unproductive posts seen on Yahoo and other "flame"-rich boards. One of the biggest attractions of the Elitetrader boards is its civil and informative tone, which its members (and to a lesser extent its moderators ;) ) deserve the credit for. We're all here to help each other and share information. There will be disagreements and differences, but as long as we discuss them intelligently, it will continue to be to everyone's benefit. Thanks!

#20     May 28, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.