The case against college.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Excessively lame response. :confused:

If you stick your nose into a response, and have no followup, then you should learn to keep silent. Sorry if it disturbs you when someone speaks the truth.

#41     Dec 15, 2009
  2. lasner

lasner

I agree certain majors should be taken out...probably half of them or could be consolidated into other majors.

It's funny I was talking to a guy at the gym the other day. He played college football at a major university and also played in the NFL.(Not very long though a year or two).

He said when he got done playing football his major sucked so bad he couldn't get a good job and went back and got a two year accounting degree from a community college.

I think the good majors in college are accounting, engineering, nursing...maybe finance or economics at a top notch school and that's about it.

Everything else get ready for starbucks. Parents really should prep their kids for their future. When I have kids it's engineering then an MBA and no questions..they will thank me later

#42     Dec 15, 2009
  3. Some do not seem to grasp that a 5% (before) or 10% (now) unemployment rate means 95% or 90% of people are working.

And for HS grads, it is a hellhole of a life trying to earn a good living.

The manufacturing jobs are drying up or moving to the well-educated. The unions are far smaller. If you want to get a decent job to teach, get a professional job, health profession, govt jobs, white collar, or most other jobs in the business world, you need the degree AND have the problem-solving/technical/business savvy that comes with this. They are called knowledge workers for a reason. They don't want the ignorant or uneducated.

Good construction/blue collar jobs are under pressure from illegal immigrants and from college grads who decide to get into plumbing, electrical, mechanic or other jobs.

You wanna work at a fast food place, you get to fight the retirees, immigrants, and high schoolers for minimum wage.

But a lot of these responses ae downright IGNORANT. Try talking to a recruiter or hiring manager at a company about how useless a college education is. You will be laughed out the door.

#43     Dec 15, 2009
  4. lasner

lasner

No it doesn't...it means that 10% unemployment are currently on unemployment. It doesn't account for all of the people that are off of unemployment and still unemployed.

True unemployment is around 15-20%

#44     Dec 15, 2009
  5. Its inflation, colleges should stop printing those diplomas.

#45     Dec 15, 2009
  6. ipatent

ipatent

Not getting a college degree means that you will probably work for menial wages in crappy work conditions unless there is a bubble in the economy like the last 25 years.

With degree from a good college or a major like engineering, you have a good shot to change that. With a degree from an average college you have some shot to change that.

The bubble is over and fewer people will be living well the next 20 years.

#46     Dec 15, 2009
  7. aegis

aegis

You really need to be careful with engineering because certain disciplines are saturated with new grads and job growth appears bleak. This is especially true for electrical and mechanical engineering. EEs and MEs are easy to outsource. Civil and chemical are definitely the way to go.

#47     Dec 15, 2009
  8. lasner

lasner

So true. You have to be smart to survive nowadays.

That's why I save and reinvest all that I make. I would have loved to have done engineering in college....I chose economics.

I started out making nothing.....like I said you have to learn how to survive and make it in life. It's so funny because looking back I'm glad I took the direction I did because it led me to sales. I actually love my job.

I'd probably be comfortable with a engineering job and more secure but I wouldn't have the freedom I have with the job I now have or the pay....I just got really lucky.

Sometimes you have to build on luck and momentum and keep it going

#48     Dec 15, 2009
  9. I thought college was wonderful. Parties, booze, chicks. Best 6 years of my life. Wish I had a degree to show for it, but I sure had fun anyway!

#49     Dec 16, 2009
  10. Mav88

Mav88

I can't understand why all degrees and people are equated. An english degree is the same as electrical engineering? An A student and a C student's degrees are equal?

College is a must for some types of technical education, you can't get experience with the hardware on your own. Microsoft has a certification course if you don't go, I hear its useful. Formal training is a necessity for some. I recommend nuclear engineering right now, good pay and good job potential.

#50     Dec 16, 2009