The case against college.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 14, 2009.

1. most Jews are exceptionally well-educated, on average, this characterization is a highly ignorant statement.

Among other things, Israel towers above its neighbors in technical and other achievements. There are more Jews in the top 100 published most influential people than the entire Islamic religion.

And I happen to have known a number of Amish and nothing in my post degraded them. They are amongst the most honest and nicest people I ever met - in fact, I just bought some shoo-fly and bread from them a couple of weeks ago. I have also purchased thousands of dollars in hardware and other stuff from there. But brilliant? I highly doubt you have sat down and had real conversations with them - although you thought it would sound good if you would make this fluffy statement. Industrious, hardworking, pious and decent, yes.

#31     Dec 15, 2009
  2. From your post, it is obvious you do not grasp my posts. As to acquiring knowledge, that is the primary purpose of college, not just landing work. Employers are looking for people who are EDUCATED and KNOWLEDGEABLE. Math, science, liberal arts and other things gives someone much higher understanding and cerebral ability. That is why the unemployment rate of graduates is about half the HS graduate rate and their income is about 80% higher.

Seriously, your insult is coming from a very empty source. You don't make brownie points substituting an uninformed opinion for reality.

#32     Dec 15, 2009
  3. aegis

aegis

You sure about that?

Most employers would rather hire someone with a traditional computer science degree over someone with a "game design diploma". That diploma may help you land a job, but you'll hit a glass ceiling rather quickly.

#33     Dec 15, 2009
  4. piezoe

piezoe

It is true that you can be either rich or poor without going to a good college. You can become famous or infamous without a degree. You can marry well, poorly, or not at all without a degree. You can be smart or dumb without a degree. You can even be brilliant without going to college.

But what does any of this have to do with the value of a good education? Get as much education from the best schools you can. Don't even consider not going to college unless you have no choice.

#34     Dec 15, 2009
  5. Moreover, what does this have to do with trading? True, you don't need to obtain a diploma in order to trade, especially as a retail trader, but at least you wouldn't look like an idiot when asked about it.

What the hell? Slacking off? Just what kinda classes did you enroll in? Sex-ed 101 and the importance of giving proper blowjobs? I had to work my ass off to get decent grades.

#35     Dec 15, 2009
  6. Nice backpedal (attempt).

You just nailed yourself, pal. I don't need to speak further on that point. Ad hominem attacks don't work outside a debate. Arguing online is anything but. Good luck.

#36     Dec 15, 2009
  7. Bingo.

#37     Dec 15, 2009
  8. lasner

lasner

So True. College doesn't mean anything anymore unless you go back for something specialized. I wish I did engineering....everything else is bullshit. Engineers can go back and get an MBA and move up the corporate ladder

#38     Dec 15, 2009
  9. The vast majority of young kids lack proper guidance in high school. Most are taught self esteem courses rather than hard core science.

So if you graduate with a degree is History of Tasmanian Arts, rather than, let's say, civil engineer, expect to be working in starsucks for the rest of your life.

Zero empathy for these parents and their kids. Go cut grass with your useless degree is what I say.

#39     Dec 15, 2009
  10. ipatent

ipatent

With engineering you can do medicine, law, business or stay in engineering. I went to law school after I got my M.E. degree.

#40     Dec 15, 2009