The case against college.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Except that colleges are a business! A huge business. I was shocked to find out for example that the "prestigious" MBA schools accepted like 500-1000 students a year, all about the $$$.

And what can you do? You put on your resume "I read wikipedia a lot and go to the library" or do you put "business accounting 101", which cost you $1000. It's a great racket.

#21     Dec 15, 2009
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

absolutely.

#22     Dec 15, 2009
  3. Lethn

Lethn

It would be nice if they not only booted out students who didn't work hard but also obliterated any programs that were bloody useless and didn't actually teach skills.

I have a Games Design diploma and the only reason I know ANYTHING about how to make games is because I learned and practiced when I was supposed to be doing the bullshit written theory of it to the point that I got into arguments with teachers about how little they were fucking teaching me.

Sorry, but I don't buy the education is valuable crap anymore, for one thing in almost ALL graduate or junior jobs I see employers actually asking for them to have a year or two already IN the industry. I don't see degrees or even the standard high school qualifications or in my country GSCEs being a requirement anymore. They ask for specific skills instead.

The industries are rejecting formal education, plain and simple, it's because it doesn't teach enough or anything.

#23     Dec 15, 2009
  4. No doubt, you either have already, or will in the future, discourage your children from seeking higher education.

#24     Dec 15, 2009
  5. Sure, if you want to focus on exceptions. That doesn't work for the majority.

#25     Dec 15, 2009
  6. l2tradr

l2tradr

On average, you're wrong. For every Bill Gates there are 100,000 part-timers at Wallmart. Just look at the statistics of earnings of those with university education and those without. Better yet, take it a step further, and look at the earnings of those without an education and those with a univerity degree of a decent major (take out art history, English, philosophy and a few other "majors" :D)

#26     Dec 15, 2009
  7. "Games design" diploma :D :D :D :D

Next, you can do the 1-day course to learn to be a security guard.

Based on this post, I seriously doubt your academic credentials. Idiots don't learn anything. Students pursue education, learning, math, science, liberal arts, business and other skills. Graduates hustle, network, make contacts and work their way up to get ahead.

Try getting ANY of those jobs with a HS diploma.

In fact, rereading your post again, your seem to have reached the level of the Amish, who stop school after about the 8th grade...

#27     Dec 15, 2009
  8. I agree with the bulk of your post but for this phrase. The Amish are some of the most brilliant people I know. Most Jews I know cannot even come close. Guess you have to know them and not just hear about them.

#28     Dec 15, 2009
  9. Arnie

Arnie

There are other ways to acquire knowledge. That is the goal, right? From you posts, you sound like an educated fool.

#29     Dec 15, 2009
  10. Corelio

Corelio

Would you care to check the unemployment rate for those that do not have a college degree?

Only on Elitetrader...:p

#30     Dec 15, 2009