The Calendar Play Book

Discussion in 'Options' started by TheBigShort, Jun 26, 2018.

1. caroy

caroy

Thanks for putting this together. Very insightful. I'm looking to add more calendars to my trading strategy. Have been looking for set ups where the front month has a IV that is at least 15% higher than the back month. Do you ever trade these in a calendar campaign strategy where you have many DTE between the strikes and keep rolling the front month? Are you looking for a certain percentage profit as a standard exit? Will go back and read through your journal with some examples.

#21     Jan 23, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  2. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Take all my earlier stuff with a brick of salt. I was just getting into options and was very excited to learn about this stuff. If you read my journals, learn more from the people who have tried to help me rather than my posts. I tried to ask good questions so most of the responses i got were very good. I also made a thread where i referenced my favourite people on this site. Those are the guys you want to learn from.

#22     Jan 23, 2021
    caroy likes this.
  3. .sigma

.sigma

Humility from a virtuous man...

But I'd have to disagree, TBS hands down some of the best information about optionality on contemporary ET. Don't let his modesty fool you! This thread is a prime example of his gems.

#23     Jan 24, 2021
    ironchef likes this.
  4. caroy

caroy

Reading through your posts I'm thinking you are one of those guys as well.

#24     Jan 24, 2021
    .sigma likes this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Agree. On my to do list after I am done with butterflies and will study TBS's posts here to restart Calendar.

In 2013, I bought Dr. Terry Allen's book:

Making 36% – A Duffer's Guide to Breaking Par in the Market Every Year in Good Years and Bad.

Supposed to teach us easy ways to trade Calendars profitably. Lost a bunch of money and avoided Calendar since.

I also studied TBS's analysis on CELG. :thumbsup:

#25     Jan 25, 2021
  6. easymon1

easymon1

When they work, Why they work. cued . . .

trading calendar spread.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    #26     Jul 21, 2021
    caroy likes this.