The butterfly megathread

Discussion in 'Options' started by VixTraderdf, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ironchef

ironchef

#71     May 20, 2019
  2. #72     May 21, 2019
  3. jamesbp

jamesbp

How are you evaluating Vega effect on Calendar
    ... raw vega or weighted vega ?

#73     May 22, 2019
    drmark27 likes this.
  4. Good question for me as I don't know the difference, perhaps you could educate me on the difference between the two? In my relatively simple understanding if I'm betting price will drop then I want to be long vol/vega.

#74     May 22, 2019
  5. jamesbp

jamesbp

I guess you are assuming that long vol is the equivalent to be being long vega
    ... which isn't necessarily the case

Which vol are you expecting to increase ... front month, back month, by how much in each case

Pick an OTM put calendar and see what changes to the option prices / vega when spot heads towards the strike

All other things being equal ... assuming sticky strike vols ( the IV of the calendar strikes will not change ) ... the price of the calendar will increase because the Vega of ATM options is greater than OTM options ... so more a directional bet than an outright Vol bet

IV's in the front month / back month will change at different rates ... with front month more sensitive than back month ( square root time ) .... which is usually ignored in most discussions about calendar spreads

#75     May 22, 2019
    Aged Learner and deltastrike like this.
  6. ffs1001

ffs1001

This is a very fascinating thread (many thanks to El OchoCinco).

I realise that the low volatility means that flies are not common in this scenario, but it would be great if this thread became active again.

#76     Jul 20, 2019
    VixTraderdf and BlueWaterSailor like this.
  7. kj5159

kj5159

I'm new to trading flyes, I have been trading them as directional bets on the underlying when I can find a fly that has a r/r that I like. I need to learn much more about the vol side of it.

#77     Jul 23, 2019