the bush tax cuts. how well did they actually work?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 26, 2010.

1. you are fos. i did support bank and auto bailout as means of calming the market during the panic but since the market has stabilized i have not asked for additional spending.

#51     Sep 27, 2010
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Calming the market? So let me ask you something Vhehn. You live in South Dakota. Why don't you write checks from your own personal bank account and give them to some of the drunk natives you have that live there. You know, to calm them down. And get back to me on how well that works.

Bailouts don't calm anyone down. You are simply giving a drunk more alcohol. Sure he shuts up for a few minutes, but when he is done, the screaming will continue as he asks for more.

#52     Sep 27, 2010
  3. do some of you understand how government works. do they teach civics in school anymore?

i live in an exclusive development. we have a road district that requires money to maintain roads, remove snow, deliver water ect. these things cost money. we have to assess property owners enough money to cover those costs. some of the landowners complain that they could move their own snow so why should they have to pay. however some of the landowners cant move the snow themselves so through a vote at the meeting the majority agreed to pay an outside service to do the work. that is how government works. if everyone is left to decide which things they will pay for it cant function.
    personally i dont want my taxes to go for war spending or education since i dont have kids. why should i have to pay?

#53     Sep 27, 2010
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Well at least one example come quickly to mind: two atomic bombs!

#54     Sep 27, 2010
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

No, see here is where you are confused. I support state and local government, just want powers of the federal government to be in check. I can vote locally. I can walk into my Alderman's office and give him shit. His office is a few blocks down the street from me. I can go to my state rep and give him shit, he keeps regular hours and it's easy to reach him. I want local government. Local and state governments can't print money. They have to balance their budgets. That I like. If they overspend, they have to raise local taxes and they get an earful if they do that. No my friend, I say give the local and state governments all the powers they want. Just not the federal government.

#55     Sep 27, 2010
  6. i do. i wrote a nice sized check a few days ago to satisfy my tax obligation for 2009 before the oct deadline. i am sure some of it will filter back to south dakota since we recieve about $1.50 back for every $1.00 we send in. red state south dakota thanks the rest of you for your contribution.

#56     Sep 27, 2010
  7. well you can send that same person the the federal level to advocate for you. if your ideas are bankrupt though dont expect much support.

#57     Sep 27, 2010
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

And yet you support the federal system that allows that to happen. So poetic. I love how you also live in a no income tax state. Such a good liberal. Do as I say not as I do. LOL.

#58     Sep 27, 2010
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Hahaha. Have you tried that? Yeah you give that a try Vhehn and get back to me on how well that goes. Oh yeah, they listen really well if you bring a check with you. LOL.

#59     Sep 27, 2010
  10. You obviously didn't read what I said.

Link: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/COLA/wageindexed.html

That's wage, not inflation, adjusted amounts. Read it.

#60     Sep 27, 2010