The bottom-picking thread (smelly fingers optional)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Cutten

Cutten

I don't think we really had proper capitulation at the open. There was reasonable selling but not massive. The VIX is sitting steady around 33, whereas at a true low it would spike then rapidly collapse as the market soared. This is good for the morning session (I've picked up some Sep ES calls), but not for the rest of the week.

IMO this could be just a temporary low intraday, not THE low. I think we're likely to at some point this week see more fear, lower prices, and a higher VIX more like 36-38. Intraday though I think it's worth being long, there is a distinct lack of follow-through in selling from yesterday's panic. A quiet market after a big selloff often leads to a drift up then mini-blowoff - the gap fill or the Fed meeting is the obvious place for that to end. VIX 30 is a good point to exit some longs/calls IMO.

I'd not be surprised if we rally slowly into the Fed meeting, probably fill the opening gap. That's the obvious "news" everyone is waiting for. The trouble is that a cut is already widely expected, so a "buy the rumour, sell the fact" short into any post-Fed blip up could be worthwhile. If it blips to say 1210-25, I would pick up some puts.

#21     Sep 16, 2008
  2. good call cutten, this is a great thread btw

#22     Sep 16, 2008
  3. Daal

Daal

#23     Sep 16, 2008
  4. Here's a bottom to pick...

#24     Sep 16, 2008
  5. just as a reminder, Vix at the 1987 crash was above 100.
    So even if 32 Vix may seem high it can be by far surpassed.
    However I agree with the Thread Starter in nearly everything.

#25     Sep 16, 2008
  6. GS $100 anybody? do I have any bids?....?

#26     Sep 17, 2008
  7. Daal

Daal

this could be setting up for a panic opening tomorrow. problem is, friday options expire so we could have a ugly monday. I'm going to wait a little longer here

#27     Sep 17, 2008
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

Where do you get VIX data going back to 1987?

#28     Sep 17, 2008
  9. #29     Sep 17, 2008
  10. Daal

Daal

this market needs some kind of news catalyst like the previous bottoms(massive fed cuts, bear bailout, fnm fre plan-short selling rules). but the injections of hope seem that need to be bigger and bigger each time

#30     Sep 17, 2008