The bottom-picking thread (smelly fingers optional)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Cutten, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I tend to agree on a late week bottom. Joe public needs some time to have this sink on a call their broker and panic sell. Looking at large caps the have not been smacked too badly. Also starting to look at S. Africa.

Akuma

#11     Sep 16, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

I think I will just use XLF. not going to try to stock pick or use expensive options

#12     Sep 16, 2008
  3. Good posts Cutten

#13     Sep 16, 2008
  4. Right now I'm focusing on CEF's which are trading at aggressive discounts and today are possibly going to get absolutely hammered from panic sales by retail investors/retirees (who these things are popular among). Yields quite attractive if they stay the same and some of these have just gotten cut recently.

Its the year end tax loss play, but early. Same thing happened last august, but I wasn't prepared enough to participate.

Averaging in, but that's more of a function of me not knowing where the bottom might be here than anything else. If you disdain at such behavior, pick your entry point with conviction!

I agree that there will be a time to go long but much much more downside risk than upside here.

Full disclosure: Long ADX, MGU, BGR, JHP. May buy others by the end of the day.

#14     Sep 16, 2008
  5. Daal

Daal

XLF has SSFs so one could leverup there

#15     Sep 16, 2008
  6. dtan1e

dtan1e

i bought some of the banks, the ones that i think are less exposed or has made adequate provisions to the toxic stuffs, if i guess correctly :(

#16     Sep 16, 2008
  7. yayt

yayt

Great thread and great original post Cutten.

I like MT just because I have personally been following it for a while, I don't know much about BTU. As for fertilizer, I've always liked MOS and MON.

I'll look into BTU.

#17     Sep 16, 2008
  8. Daal

Daal

Instead of using contrarian indicators I rather take a look at statistical analysis. this guy is the king of this. his research indicates that oversold conditions going into fed meeting tend to lead to rallies on that day but they dont have persistence going forward
    http://quantifiableedges.blogspot.com/
    There is also the CBI indicator(his proprietary vix) when it prints 6-7+ it leads to a rally pretty much everytime, its only a matter of when

#18     Sep 16, 2008
  9. one thing to consider is the short ratio in the portfolio of stocks your watching to bottom pick and rank them from highest to lowest

#19     Sep 16, 2008
  10. Daal

Daal

Interesting opening today. this is the type of action one typically sees in those bottom rallies, but I'm not pulling the trigger till we get some kind of news catalyst

#20     Sep 16, 2008