The bottom line on wall street

Discussion in 'Trading' started by andrasnm, Aug 19, 2002.

1. I used to love the markets, worship trading as some religion.

After reading certain stats(facts) that very few people care to read and most love to ignore, I woke up... So here it is...

Stat (or Fact) number one. Forget the true numbers so please don't be mad.

a)The true old money and even the new money has very little common stocks in ownership UNLESS it's is controlling interest
    or insider (VP level) holding.
    Most wealth is in stocks that are non public, private ownership, LLP, and RE, plus debt(bonds, paper etc)

b)Much of retirement wealth is in common stocks and it is pure investment(gamble) or trading profit but it is very fragile and volatile.
    Lot of people in the US will delay retirement and will move either to the poor house or Costa Rica.

c) The stock markets are manipulated and controlled.
    Most of money on Wall street is made by "fees and commission"
    rather than trading profits!

d) tech analysts is pure phantasy it is merely shows signs how the sheep an masse moves in and out of certain issues.
    If tech analysts would be a perfect science many more people (analysts) would not work for firms or TV stations but they would
    just trade(invest).

e) average 150 years of returns are silly to show when the average
    life span of a human beings (going back a few years) is 60+

Just some food for thought and by no means should I have discouraged any of the newbies... :)

2. There are lots of reasons to be cynical but I can't agree with all your conclusions.

3. a)The true old money and even the new money has very little common stocks in ownership UNLESS it's is controlling interest
    Most wealth is in stocks that are non public, private ownership, LLP, and RE, plus debt(bonds, paper etc)

That's interesting, and, on reflection, not too surprising.

b)Much of retirement wealth is in common stocks and it is pure investment(gamble) or trading profit but it is very fragile and volatile.
    Lot of people in the US will delay retirement and will move either to the poor house or Costa Rica.

No disagreement there at all.

I think that's something most traders that have been around a bit, or have thought really hard about the market, already 'know'.

d) tech analysts is pure phantasy it is merely shows signs how the sheep an masse moves in and out of certain issues.
    If tech analysts would be a perfect science many more people (analysts) would not work for firms or TV stations but they would
    just trade(invest).

I would say TA is 'pure fantasy', but there is much more to making money trading than just being a good technical analysts, no doubt about that.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It could certainly be misleading, in that the average investor derives a false sense of security from it.
    150 years is enough to be statistically significant, but there very well may be other pertinent factors to those historical returns that the 'average return' figure does not consider.

4. a)The true old money and even the new money has very little common stocks in ownership UNLESS it's is controlling interest
    --------------------------------------------------
    --most companies are in fact private, and most millionaires currently or at one time had significant ownership of a private business.

--Most truly wealthy people who have passive investments are involved with LLP's as in hedge funds, venture capital funds, or real estate partnerships. Bill Gates doesn't stick his money in Fidelity Magellan.

----------------------------------------------------
    This is absolutely true, and is why we will always need social security in one form or another.

-------------------------------

Wall street firms exist to make fees just like any other service business. They exist to facilitate the trading of others, not primarily to trade for themselves. They are the house, not the gamblers. Somebody has got to do it or there won't be a market.

--------------------------------

just trade(invest).

----------------------------------
    The reason people don't like technical analysis is because they don't undertand what its true purpose is, which is simply to tilt the odds slightly in ones favor over a long series of trades. This sounds like sour grapes on your part.

------------------------------------

This is absolutely true, and is why "buy-and-hold" is really a con game to get people to leave their money in mutual funds during down markets.

5. ----------------------------------
    The reason people don't like technical analysis is because they don't undertand what its true purpose is, which is simply to tilt the odds slightly in ones favor over a long series of trades. This sounds like sour grapes on your part.

Yeah, I never could trade based mostly on charts. I was a scalper always. It was my background and training....

Learned that current information is more important than charts
    when we *smelled* a few million print going on (and only a few people knew this) I could act safer than on any silly chart pattern like the hanging man...
    I would trade like that anyday.....with my grandma's money...

6. dr_ma

dr_ma

I think you just lost a lot of money, and now you instead of claiming responsibility and possibly learning from your mistakes you are coming up with excuses that will make your ego feel better. You will certainly lose more money and be another victim. Not only in the markets but in life as well.

7. Maxito

Maxito

"Just some food for thought and by no means should I have discouraged any of the newbies"

So where shall you put your time and money now???

8. I don't trade anymore as I learned that all forms of gambling are habit forming and bad (also a sin in certain circles:). Certainly one can't gamble for a living at least not on the long run. I can't lose what I don't risk.

I wish to encourage you to trade for a very long time no matter how you do. It is a great way to make a small fortune (from a large one)
    Have a nice day!